Array
    Status
    Ashville, Alabama
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

My 1982 Dodge Ram 50 2.0 bogs down and wont go over 25-35 mph

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)]I've got a 1982 Ram50 2.0. I recently sent the head to the machine shop due to cracks and low compression and it came back and I installed it. I have set the timing with a timing light and it is in spec 5 degrees before TDC on the #1 compression stroke. I installed brand new plugs which I gapped to 43 per spec with new spark plug wires. I have the weber carb and fuel is going down into the carb. I have two issues however at the moment how it's running is my main one.

First issue when I push the gas pedal my truck will get to about 2500 rpms then start bucking and missing and the truck wont go over 25-45 mph. I also notice everytime I rev it up,or even while it's just idling, it's burning oil as blue tinted clouds of smoke are leaving my exhaust pipe. I pulled the plugs out and they were of course wet with oil and black(carbon fouled). It has the jetted head but I have plugs in the holes and the jet valves removed(I will however check to see if the machine shop put O rings on the bolts that are in the jet valve spots tomorrow this may be why it's burning oil as I saw a TSB concerning that however it's usually the rings not sealing that cause oil burning like this but a really old good mechanic checked the block for me and said it didnt really have any wear on it and it didnt need any attention.) I'm really just out of ideas on why it's running like crap like this. Although I guess I could put an inline spark tester between the coil and distributor and see if it at any point stops firing.

2nd issue after I put the head on and the truck is running the radiator hoses are pretty stiff. I mean really hard for a radiator hose. I know what this usually means there's compression escaping into the cooling system but when I tested compression with the new head on I had 120 on each cylinder.

[/COLOR]

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Do you know what the initial cause of low compression was? Check the jet valve delete plugs to see if there are any sealing issues, then do a compression test. Just because it 'looked' good, doesn't mean it was.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Ashville, Alabama
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Yes there was a few cracks on the valve seats. I imagine someone ran it hot at one point and it cracked in those places. All 4 cylinders are showing 120 psi now.