Array
    Status
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Just purchased my first truck! 1988 Mighty Max 4WD 5 Speed

Hi everyone! I just picked up this 5 speed 4WD Mighty Max and I'm super excited to start working on it! I was originally looking to buy a parts hauler truck, but I've absolutely fallen in love with this one and now I'm planning on making it into an even better offroading truck than it already is

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. You have a great catch there. The PO clearly loved this truck and had put some cash into keeping it in good shape. If you haven't got it off road yet, it'll surprise you. They are a more than capable off-roader. Hopefully there aren't any real issues with it as a lot of these trucks end up being delegated to beater duties.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    These are great little trucks as long as you keep up on the maintenance.
    not much you can do to make it more 4WD other then a body lift. Bigger tires and rims will kill the truck. So please don’t do it. Stock is the best. It takes skill to drive an old car. New cars beep and warn you of dangers. Not this truck.
    Most people get a new to them truck and drive it like it’s new. Please read through this thread and make it tip top.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Cedaredge, CO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome! Great truck! I’m a little jealous of the extended cab. I like the tire/wheel combo. I’m hoping to upgrade to something similar soon.

-Geoff

Array
    Status
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Thank you! The previous owner is a great dude who put a lot of love into the truck. From the bit of offroading I've done so far, this truck has been incredible!

Array
    Status
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    not much you can do to make it more 4WD other then a body lift. Bigger tires and rims will kill the truck. So please don’t do it. Stock is the best. It takes skill to drive an old car. New cars beep and warn you of dangers. Not this truck.
    Most people get a new to them truck and drive it like it’s new. Please read through this thread and make it tip top.

Absolutely. I've owned several older vehicles and I'm gonna take care of her for sure. I'm pretty happy with it in terms of 4WD and I think the only thing I may end up doing is swapping in a Montero Sport rear axle and springs, and maybe some longer gears, but otherwise everything I've done so far is maintenance. When I picked up the truck I did the U-joints and adjusted the clutch cable since it was a bit loose and keeping the clutch from engaging perfectly. It occasionally keeps trying to fire for a second when I turn it off, and I suspect the timing may be a tooth or two too far advanced, but that's a project for a weekend when it isn't raining lol.

Array
    Status
    Gainesville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post

Absolutely. I've owned a good few older vehicles and I'm planning on treating her well! So far, I'm extremely happy in terms of the offroading experience and don't have any plans to mess with that other than potentially putting a Montero Sport rear axle and springs in it, maybe with longer gears. All the work I've done to it so far is maintenance (Shifter Bushings, U Joints, and adjusting the clutch cable), but the truck has been dieseling for a second or two every now and then when I turn it off, so I'm planning on taking the next dry weekend to check the timing and adjust it back a tooth or two if I need to.