Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

White smoke out of the tailpipe

Hey there everyone, just replaced my timing belt not even 100 miles ago and I noticed today I had white smoke coming out the tailpipe only for a little bit however and it stopped. when I got off work and re started the car and nothing white. I'm pretty sure it was burning oil but not sure why. any ideas are appreciated thanks

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hm, oil burning would produce bluish smoke, whereas white smoke would typically indicate a coolant leak.

However, if it's only on startup on a cold engine it could also just be condensation of water vapor in your exhaust, just like seeing your breath on a cold day.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I think its burning oil the coolant levels seem stable, I heard somewhere that the 4g64 in these trucks like to to burn valves? it could be burning coolant however maybe a head gasket?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If the engine has had a severe overheat event or constantly runs hot, it has the potential to burn valves. Likewise with tired valve springs, worn valve seats or wear on the seating edges of the valves. #1 cause of oil burn is worn valve stem seals. Symptom of bad valve stem seals is a puff of smoke from sitting at the lights/stationary for a short period but no obvious smoke while driving. The 4G64 is sensitive to overheating so keep a watchful eye on coolant levels and maintain the cooling system. If you are constantly topping up coolant levels, it will eventually catch up with you and the head will fail.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function