Array
    Status
    Austin, tx
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New an need advice

Found a 1987 dodge power ram 50 last week. It sat in a field for over 10 yrs, was told it needs a carburetor but guy wasn't 100% sure as he inherited the truck along with the property so he wasn't sure. I got it home an off the trailer an put a fresh battery in an put a Lil gas in the carb an it fires right up! So my question is where to start I never even heard of these trucks before getting this one given to me! An the mikuni carb?! My Harley had one on it when I got it didn't know they made carbs for trucks too!

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome, and gratz on your new acquisition! Here's a good thread of advice for new owners:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP

Count your blessings that the stock Mikuni carb is still working well for you, only a matter of time before it starts misbehaving due to age-related failure of some component or another, so you may as well start reading up on the popular Weber carb swap, plenty of good threads here about it.

The stock Mikuni is based on a fairly ancient design originally engineered for performance more than economy or emissions, so as regs and market demand tightened around those latter aspects, they just kept tacking on ad-hoc modifications and various add-on gizmos to satisfy them, which of course just means more points of potential failure in the long run as the truck ages. Rebuilding the Mikuni is pretty challenging, not for newbies or the faint of heart, so unless your area has emissions inspections that require all-stock equipment, a Weber swap is just the ticket for resolving most stock carb woes.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. You'll soon discover that like most cars and bikes, the Mitsubishi/Dodge has it's own quirks. A thread for the noobs - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...and-do-it-ASAP

The cooling systems in these trucks are sensitive and lack of maintenance will lead to head failures so check the radiator etc over. Check the fuel tank as it has been sitting for a long time out in the open and will most likely have a lot of crap in the bottom of it along with really stale fuel - and possibly rust. I have no idea what the carb on your Harley was like but the Mikuni carb fitted to these engines are not for the uninitiated. They are complicated to tear down and adjust. Post pics and ask questions!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    lol what? I was in the process of posting and SubG crossed the finish line before me. Anyhoo, he's not wrong.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function