Array
    Status
    Lloydminster Alberta
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Possible pitman arm options?

Is there any other options for pitman arms on the 2wd 2nd gen trucks? I might be looking for something in the future to get a bit more of a drop in the pitman arm. The idler can be lowered relatively easily.

I been looking up the specs online for random vehicles (usually smaller trucks) and the closest vehicle I found is a Mazda B2200. Has the right spline count, similar length, but the diameter of the splined area is 0.4mm wider.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    These trucks have limitations with steering geometry. To go beyond takes fabrication - or a different steering design. I think with a bit of lateral thinking a rack and pinion will work. It will obviously need a uni joint yoke to connect from the steering column shaft to the rack but it will kill all the steering slop and solve a bunch of geometry issues. I have thought about the problem with retrofitting power steering as well and going for electric/hydraulic will avoid a belt driven pump. I'm not a fan of column actuated power assist. Seen what happens when they malfunction and it's not even remotely a good idea...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lloydminster Alberta
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I am not a fan of the electric columns either, would rather have a rack and pinion but maybe its just because we are a different generation lol. When the time comes I will probably buy another pitman arm and cut/modify it to get it a bit lower. Most of them are mild steel and can be cleaned/welded it seems, just need to be smart about where to weld it and not just rely on a butt weld - that would be asking for certain death.

I am still keeping my eye open for an electric powersteering pump from a volvo

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by colt2c00 View Post
    I am not a fan of the electric columns either, would rather have a rack and pinion but maybe its just because we are a different generation lol.
    It's not a generational thing - for me it's safety. I have seen too many electric assist units fail from faulty sensor wheels. An electric motor generates a huge amount of torque and if the sensor in it goes out, you have to fight it to maintain control. Even one that hasn't straight up failed but is out of calibration will cause the steering to go choppy in on spot and the steering will jump from side to side trying to centre itself. Add a wet road at highway speeds and its looking for a place to wreck or stuff you into a box.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function