Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

92 Ram 50 4g64 SOHC valve cover

Hey guys I've been doing a ton of research and cannot find a replacement Valve Cover for my 4g64 SOHC truck the one on it is cracked. I know that the 92 galant SOHC valve covers can work but the throttle cable bracket needs to be remounted. Anyone done that before? Or is there a good aftermarket that looks better and doesn't require modification?? Thanks for the help

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The Galant has the 'Cyclone' valve cover right? It would look cool in the truck. Making a stand-off to mount a cable should be relatively easy. You might be able to use the intake manifold studs as the mounting point to secure the modified throttle cable support. There's very limited aftermarket support for SOHC engines and as far as I know there are no non-genuine valve covers available. There doesn't look like there's a lot of room to monkey around with at the back end of the rocker cover.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Grandads truck has the cyclone valve cover on it, maybe a nz market thing

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks for the replies, I'm probably going to put that galant cover on it and just remount the throttle cable. I was thinking about flipping the mount and putting it on the firewall and have it above the cover. but that Idea is good for putting the bracket on the cover mounting bolt it would probably work a bit better to.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenhawk View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'm probably going to put that galant cover on it and just remount the throttle cable. I was thinking about flipping the mount and putting it on the firewall and have it above the cover. but that Idea is good for putting the bracket on the cover mounting bolt it would probably work a bit better to.
    Put a 3rd hole in the valve cover to hold the throttle cable ~ use the same rubber grommet method to seal it off ~ check clearance between valve cover and cam train ~ use countersunk fastener if needed

Do you like this idea ?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Don't put the cable bracket on the firewall - the engine moves around on and off throttle, the firewall doesn't. It will do some scary things. And it looks like the cable already runs along the only place you could fix the bracket to. Xbox's idea isn't bad. You could drill a hole where the mounting stud should be, put a washer and rubber seal on a bolt and push it through from the inside, drop on another rubber seal and washer from the outside and use a flare nut or nylock to clamp it all together.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Don't put the cable bracket on the firewall - the engine moves around on and off throttle, the firewall doesn't. It will do some scary things. And it looks like the cable already runs along the only place you could fix the bracket to. Xbox's idea isn't bad. You could drill a hole where the mounting stud should be, put a washer and rubber seal on a bolt and push it through from the inside, drop on another rubber seal and washer from the outside and use a flare nut or nylock to clamp it all together.
    Brilliant "THE ENGINE MOVES / THE FIREWALL DOES NOT" the world needs more real mechanics like geezer

Array
    Status
    Colorado
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I ended up finding a OE replacement thanks for all the responses. and I understand the throttle cable bracket moves was just thinking how to route it if I did end up using a galant valve cover