Array
    Status
    nebraska
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

87 wipers 1 speed only

So it sprinkled enough today to run the wipers, discovered there's only 1 speed, lever indicates should be 3 w/intermittent which doesn't work either. When do I start looking for the problem? And yes I used the search on this forum which yielded no help.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Here's a schematic of the intermittent wiper system in an '88. I bet it's the same for your '87.

Possible causes could be one speed in the motor has failed, poor contact at the wiper motor connector or at the combination switch to harness connection, or something inside the combination switch itself. If your tests point to a fault in the switch, you can try to repair it if the contacts need cleaning. Remove the cowl, steering wheel and four mounting screws to remove it from the truck. Be very careful disassembling it; there are many small parts and the contacts are spring loaded. The intermittent wiper relay is integrated into the switch, so if it's bad, you'll have to replace the entire combination switch.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by FMS88; 04-02-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Array
    Status
    nebraska
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    Here's a schematic of the intermittent wiper system in an '88. I bet it's the same for your '87.

Possible causes could be one speed in the motor has failed, poor contact at the wiper motor connector or at the combination switch to harness connection, or something inside the combination switch itself. If your tests point to a fault in the switch, you can try to repair it if the contacts need cleaning. Remove the cowl, steering wheel and four mounting screws to remove it from the truck. Be very careful disassembling it; there are many small parts and the contacts are spring loaded. The intermittent wiper relay is integrated into the switch, so if it's bad, you'll have to replace the entire combination switch.
    Thank you