Status
    San Luis AZ
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

1983 D50 engine swap

Hi,
    I am an new owner of a 83 D50 2WdD, G63B engine; Engine is disassembled, so looking to either rebuild or get another put into this truck.
    Today i found a 4G64 which i believe its a 2.4, my truck is 2.0; The owner of 2.4 engine stated that he bought it for his D50 which is 4WD, however it does not go into the transmission bellhousing, as measuring the flywheel we noticed that his original flywheel is 11 inches from tooth to tooth, the 2.4 engine has a 12 inch flywheel; So I dont now if it would fit my truck; would anyone have an idea if i can replace my engine with the 2.4? I was under the impression that most of those engines were all interchangeable, to include the 2.6, appreciate any input on the subject. thanks again

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Swap the transmission. The G63B is a narrow block vs the 4G64 which is a wide block. The 4G64 shares the same mounting pattern as the 4G54 2.6 truck. The issue with using the 4G64 is it is an EFI engine and will require all of the ancillary parts to make it run - high pressure fuel pump, ECU, relays and harness etc. It is possible to 'neanderthal tech' the 4G64 to run on a carb* by swapping the intake off the G63B and using an electric fuel pump and swapping the distributor. At first glance nobody would realize it's a 2.4.

*I'd recommend fitting a Weber 38DGES carb to run the 4G64. It will keep up with the air/fuel demand the extra 400cc's has over the 2.0. Somebody will correct me but I think the factory carb for the 4G54/2.6 engine will bolt up to the G63B inlet mani and run but it will depend on the EGR set up on the carb. I would only use the factory Mikuni carb to make it appear to be OEM or pass a visual emissions inspection but they are a disaster to work on...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    San Luis AZ
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    thanks for the good info,