Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    I like AGM-type batteries; a Group 34 size fits the stock tray nicely. All the ones I've had lasted at least 5 years (no mean feat here in Tucson w/ summer highs above 110°F) and would have lasted even longer if I hadn't inadvertently deep-discharged them past the point of recovery.
    I've never researched a battery life comparison between cold climate & hot climate ~ it seems electrical electronic items are susceptible to damage from vibration and heat ~ somewhere I read putting batteries in the refrigerator could possibly extend their life ~ My personal experience of battery life in cold climates (Washington State & Hawaii State) and warm climates IS THAT my car batteries lasted longer in the cold than in the heat ~ your thoughts..? Oh, I now know that battery companies make batteries specific for cold or hot climates, learned that here in Hawaii at a Firestone Dealer selling green color Interstate batteries...

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I only know the prevailing anecdotal reports from other Tucsonans that conventional batteries typically seem to need replacement every couple years or so here. Heat-related degradation probably relates to heat accelerating chemical reactions in general, so whatever happens to kill a battery with age probably just happens faster here.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    I only know the prevailing anecdotal reports from other Tucsonans that conventional batteries typically seem to need replacement every couple years or so here. Heat-related degradation probably relates to heat accelerating chemical reactions in general, so whatever happens to kill a battery with age probably just happens faster here.
    I agree Sub

Array
    Status
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I kind of ran into the same issue. I think I overpaid for my 94 that i recently bought from someone, but I grew an immediate love for this truck so it doesn't sit right for me to just get rid of it. The ticking just started happening to me and I'm having a nervous feeling about it. It's with a mechanic right now getting prepped for it to pass smog (been trying to get it to pass for the past month), so if he doesn't see anything wrong I guess I can wait it out until I make another sum of money to get it fixed.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ticking is most likely a sticky hydraulic lifter. The tried-and-true oil flush method outlined here might just resolve that:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49688
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12