Array
    Status
    Jonesboro,AR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Hello

Last year I bought a friends dads 1984 Ram50 Prospector that he bought new.; I used this forum to replace the timing belts, throw the mikuni in the woods and install the weber, (how many add-ons can you bolt on to a carburetor?), new tires (original spare also replaced), changed all fluids, new bushings in front end (pitman arm rubber bushings?), new AC compressor, lines, evaporator, dryer,(full of rust), last radiator from rock auto, tune up (advance weights in distributor chewed up)Thanks for the help. Now all I need is a fuel gauge sending unit The whole fuel tank is available but not the fuel sender. The later generation have no fuel tank available but can get the fuel sender unit. Thanks again.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What about a universal fit sender unit? They are about $20 USD on ebay. Big question is - what resistance is the OEM sender unit rated at?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20378095941...EAAOSwDTNauq1y

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31362603417...EAAOSwDTNauq1y
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro,AR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I tried that. the resistance was a little off, but the first gen fuel tanks the sender goes in from the side. I reused the mounting plate from the original sender and bolted the universal one in, bending the float arm around to mimic the stock float travel. It works poorly, never getting above half tank and having a lot of time at empty and below.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What about changing the sender position? If the sender was rotated on the end of the support mount, it should be about right. Might take some trial and error to get it to read the full travel of the float.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro,AR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That looks like it would work. A little more complicated than I wanted, program with an app on my phone.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Call me... a geezer, but all of these bluetooth connected devices can't be guaranteed to be reliable. One bad sender module and it is a brick. Analog is less likely to fail and a LOT cheaper

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Call me... a geezer, but all of these bluetooth connected devices can't be guaranteed to be reliable. One bad sender module and it is a brick. Analog is less likely to fail and a LOT cheaper
    Today's TV news said America made 40% of the world's microchips before but today will only produce 12% ~ raising new car prices ?!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Today's TV news said America made 40% of the world's microchips before but today will only produce 12% ~ raising new car prices ?!
    There's a global shortage of them. US car manufacturers have holding yards full of new cars straight off the production line missing ECU's due to the lack of processor chips. If the shortage continues, the car makers will face being forced into fire sales to clear back stock and meet quarterlies.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro,AR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Ill soon find out. I've ordered a similar one, mine has 5 mounting holes and the later ones have three. Only the later ones are available. I'm hoping the three holes will line up and still bolt in. Ill hook it up to the truck first before mounting it to check the range (full to empty). I was thinking of removing the tank again, mounting the sender and measuring the ohms while turning the tank to check the range of the sender.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    also look for one for a toyota truck - the gasket for the sending unit is the same as that one - the sending unit may be the same
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980