Array
    Status
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

Question Interior light & Cargo light help

Hi all! Im stumped on my issues with the cargo light and interior light. (1988 Mighty Max) I’ve replaced bulbs and the fuse in the panel box by driver knee, still no luck with either light working. Any suggestions, tips, tricks? All help is appreciated! Thank you!

Question #2 - Quickest & Easiest way to access the lights that illuminate the gauges in the dash? Would love to change them out from the stock green color.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't think the gauge cluster illumination color can be changed; it typically uses ordinary untinted bulbs, and the cluster itself has a translucent tinted-plastic layer that transmits the light to the gauges.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check the door switches to make sure they are making contact + check the switch in the cabin light. As for the instrument back lighting, swap them out for T10 LED bulbs. The factory back lights are all incandescent globes with a transparent rubber sheath over them. Some of the globes will be T5's like the heater/vent control and cigarette lighter. Change the warning lights for clear T10 LED's and the rest is whatever flavour you like - they are available in lots of ten on ebay dirt cheap.

2 things to note - LED's are polarity sensitive which means they will only work when they are installed with the contacts on the positive and negative of a circuit (if you have a keen eye you will be able to tell which is which when swapping them but otherwise it's trial and error - you won't fry them by installing them in the wrong way) Second is they don't generate much of a load on the electrical system - great for reducing draw on the battery and alternator but they can freak out flasher relays if you go the whole mile and replace exterior turn globes and they can be a little temperamental when it comes to the dimmer switch.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    I pulled the dash apart today, one bulb had a green film I peeled off. however I can see green light emitting from the bottom of the cluster. Is it possible to remove the green plastic that tints the light? I’m having trouble locating the source that filters the light green. I have yet to remove the clusters clear face, scared to break the brittle plastic clips that keep it together.

Array
    Status
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63
    Thank you! This was very helpful I changed the direction of the LEDs and they work! I cleaned the jammed door buttons as well so the lights now come on when the doors are open. The only issue I have is the button under the light being extremely sensitive and causes almost a strobe effect if it’s not in a certain spot.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Switch under the lights - not sure what you mean. If it's the door switches - take them out and give them a good clean. A little steel wool or very fine wet and dry sandpaper on the contacts and they should make a good connected circuit. You can buy replacement door switches as they were a generic design and a lot of manufacturers used them. I don't recall the diffuser in the instrument clusters being coloured but some did have a paint on them. Do not remove the cluster bezel and clear cover to access anything. You have to pull the whole instrument/dash insert out to access the speedo cluster (you might have already got this far - just ignore me lol) Once it's out you can remove all of the warning light and back light wedges.

Check this image from another thread for the instrument + back light wedges (the green ones are backlighting)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function