Thread: My 1994 Mighty Max 4x4 and a quick story on how I got it.

Array
    Status
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Cool My 1994 Mighty Max 4x4 and a quick story on how I got it.

In August 2020, I sold my 1989 D50 4x4 extended after almost finishing the transmission rebuild. The whole truck was beat up mechanically and need full over haul. I missed it after it was gone. June 2021, I got in an accident, and my 2013 AWD Rogue got totaled. Bad little SUV, could go anywhere if it weren't for the clearance issues. Saw this truck on Truck Trader for $3500. That is a lot for one of these, or at least it used to be. There were several other people making offers, but I wanted this truck! They are getting hard to find. I live in Phoenix, it was in El Paso, and I had no way to get money out there since they wanted cash.

I jumped on a Greyhound bus with 4k in my pocket. Maybe dumb, but my only worry was if it would drive me back. Or else I would have to take a Greyhound back. No way! After 12 hours on that ride I would walk! I got there, test drove it and paid them as is. Got me all the way back and I was outclimbing new 4 Runners and all kinds of big trucks up the mountain runs through New Mexico and Arizona. I could not believe how well it drove.

I have a 1994 Diamante V6 engine on the stand I am going to rebuild for it, and a second transmission. I got the exhaust custom rebuilt since it did have a major leak, for $350. Pamona Motors in Young Town, AZ if you ever need great work for great prices. New tires, all gear oil and Sea foamed. This truck will burn out easy. It's limited slip, but I am not trying to make a Big Foot. It just needs new torsion bars, shocks, and basic rear suspension. Easy stuff. Oh and the missing side vent. I am so stoked, and glad to finally get some pics up for it.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ain't life grand

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A gamble that paid off - very cool. The drive back must've been a joy compared to the hell of a greyhound bus trip (hey, it got you there so that is something lol) The prices for trucks are getting out of control so you were in the buyers' market when you got your 4x4. Thanks for sharing your tale!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    go here for torsion bars and bushings for the front suspension: https://adventuredrivendesign.com/oc...berian+Bushing. Torsion bars from a 1st gen Montero 4 cylinder are the same as our trucks.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    I have one just like it, same color and year. Pick it up in 96" with 11K miles on it. Now it has 235K. Have fun!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Nice truck. V-6 4x4s are my favorite too.

I like your swap idea. I did a 3.8L Mivec one myself.

Array
    Status
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Indeed when things work out life is grand!!!! I want to get Sway-A-Way bars for it and hopefully find some good shocks. Leaf springs seem good, but if I'm doing it might as well get those, too. Thanks for the link, I will check that out. I know just putting good new torsion bars will get that sag out of the front. It's pretty much on bump stops now, just a little off they are so weak. She has 144k miles and just needs some minor touch ups and a stereo. Going full blue tooth and turning the stereo spot into a small storage. After all the mechanical is done, going to paint it white with red and black trim.

I bet that 3.8L kicks butt in that truck of yours. I am hoping to get this Diamante cyclone over 200 hp and I'll be happy with that. It already creeps up the mountains in 4 low like a champ!!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Get some KYB shocks. Pretty much all around the best and they are a good price. Yea, the Mivec is a kick to drive. The 3.0 is still nice for most things though.

Array
    Status
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    @geezer101
    You are correct. Greyhound is very reliable. Got me there when I needed them too.