Thread: I am keeping this truck - don't try to stop me !

Array
    Status
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52

I am keeping this truck - don't try to stop me !

Hi,
    I've been lurking here for a few years, read a lot of great advice, enjoyed the build logs and been inspired by the enthusiasm I see here for these trucks.
    I've been meaning to introduce myself but just too crazy, crazy busy, but now I need your help so no more excuses.
    My truck is an '82, it is red, and my Dad gave it to me in about 2001.
    (Our Mitsubishi story goes back in the 1970s, with a couple of Dodge Colts. My dad gave me both of them - one was my first car - and I enjoyed those cars until the needed repairs were beyond my skills and/or budget).
    This truck has less than 90K on the odometer and that's probably accurate - it has spent most of its life being driven less then 1K per year.
    Never garaged as far as I know, there's a lot of rust in the bed and overall pretty rough cosmetically. Not bad mechanically except for problems with the carb which I will be posting about, later.
    Dad loved this truck. Now that Dad has passed, I will be keeping it - makes me feel good - connected to him.
    My wife thinks I'm crazy for having 3 1980's cars. She's right (this time) but of all the cars this is the one I will keep.
    I will not be selling this truck. My state and local governments really don't want me to keep this truck. They would give me $1000 to junk this truck -- I spit on that offer.
    My plan is to eventually restore mechanically and cosmetically. (Don't expect rapid progress.)
    Cosmetic restoration in the bed area specifically might mean a custom wood bed, or something like that. If the bed stays steel, I will definitely be keeping it covered.
    From 2001 to 2011 I had a driveway to keep the truck in so it was PNO'd. But I no longer have my own driveway, so I have to pass smog.
    That leads to the problems, which I will be posting about in another forum.
    Cheers, everyone.
    Gene

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello Gene,
    Photos for your build consideration ~ https://pluto.tv/stream-us/shows/my-classic-car-series ~ Hawaii had these modified Airport Taxis ~ no doors, the passenger side door is deleted; like getting on a bus with a Jeep shaped opening...

Attached Images