Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Show your wheels

SHOWING A WHEEL ~ if not a new wheel, then what powdercoat color besides OEM silver might look on a white truck with stock steel wheels? Bronze, Gunmetal, use a 2nd color on the centercaps, etc..? Ideas?

Above wheel came from here: https://www.trailer-wheels.com/15x6-...l#.YeDYgdXMIy4

Seems that 14" & 15" trailer wheels fit the Mitsubishi, 1st Gen anyway...

My owners booklet says the 1986 Dodge Power Ram 50 4X4 truck wheel has 22mm (.086") offset but this trailer wheel (pictured) has 0 zero offset ~ if I understand Google correctly, then this wheel will cause my tires to stick out farther than stock (about .086") ~ that is on my assumption that the owners manual does not have a minus sign or NEG for the 22mm offset meaning it's an OEM positive offset bringing the wheels out a little further than the RWD 40mm offset truck wheel... Will the police let it fly or will I need wheel flares..? Will it look funny or not be driveable with wheels hitting steering or suspension or body work..? Found a 0 offset wheel need post it...

I like the below pictured truck appearance, seems to have a similar wheel... SHOW YOUR WHEELS HUH

Attached Images
    Last edited by xboxrox; 01-14-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Note 22mm = 0.866" (not 0.0866"), so those those trailer wheels will stick out nearly a full inch more than stock.

Changing wheel offset from stock also alters your scrub radius, which affects steering feel, stability and self-centering, but that's less of a concern with relatively crude-handling trucks. I'm not sure what the stock scrub radius is meant to be, but I'd suspect it's positive, so pushing the wheels out would just make it more positive, which is less of a concern than shifting it closer to zero.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Note 22mm = 0.866" (not 0.0866"), so those those trailer wheels will stick out nearly a full inch more than stock.

Changing wheel offset from stock also alters your scrub radius, which affects steering feel, stability and self-centering, but that's less of a concern with relatively crude-handling trucks. I'm not sure what the stock scrub radius is meant to be, but I'd suspect it's positive, so pushing the wheels out would just make it more positive, which is less of a concern than shifting it closer to zero.
    Thanks sub yeah .86" it's over 3/4" for sure ~ I gotta learn what exactly is offset & backspace ~ think I know offset the wheel bolting surface in relation to how far from center of wheel width (?) backspace wheel bolting surface to inner rim edge (?) I gotta measure the backspace...

RAM 50 owners manual shows wheel type (4X4) truck ~ 5.5K x 15 or 6-JJ x 15 ~ and Google interprets it to mean 6" wheel width (but still wanna measure backspace...) although it should be 3" from the wheel bolt surface to the inner rim edge + the 22mm .86" offset = 3.86" backspace, sound right..??

[top]Good thing trailer wheels seem to be available but shipping to Hawaii -- sux

Thanks for help, you know A-LOT

Last edited by xboxrox; 01-14-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Extra offset will improve feel and handling on the road but it also will leave you open to 'bump steer'. Don't know how dramatic that would be in a 4x4 but I had a little Mitsubishi fastback that would try to do lane changes if you hit a rut in the road and wasn't ready for it. I went from 14x5 to a 15x6.5 wheel with series 50 tyres and the offset was 40mm which was extreme lol but it handled like a go-kart... Maybe adding a steering damper to it will negate the possible bump steer
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Offset (also called ET, from the German "Einpresstiefe" meaning insertion-depth) is the deviation of the mounting face from the wheel-width centerline -- i.e., how far off-center the mounting face is.

Backspace is the distance from the inboard rim to the mounting face -- i.e., half the wheel width, plus the offset (or minus, for negative offset).
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    German insertion
    My day is Happy now

Am waiting for reply from Titanium Automotive (Oahu powder coating shop) if they can chrome hub caps & the cost to powdercoat a 15" steel wheel ~ after looking at Toyota Landcruiser images on the net; I found a decent looking stock hub cap wheel color combo ~ might save money & be kinder to the environment ~ will post a photo soon
    Last edited by xboxrox; 01-15-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    factory styled steel wheels here were in white and a gold colour

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    factory styled steel wheels here were in white and a gold colour
    white goldish we need a sideways thumb IF I can afford to do anything, I am now inclined to keep the original wheels & hub caps but massage them with new powdercoat color & try getting the hub caps chromed ~ just this is wishful thinking & expensive too ~anyway, here are a few screenshots from my cheap Samsung phone massaged with Microsoft Paint ~ pardon the low res quality ~ Oh, and the theme here is plain stock wheel with a chrome center cap ~ the last photo a Ram50 but not my truck ~ many thanks to you tortron for that southernly info & good luck to you and especially geezer in the Omicron "Let It Rip"
    and lastly a RAM50 version of painted wheel with chrome centercap -->
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I passed on a couple MM 4x4 hub caps in the junk yard the other day. Went back and only 1 was remaining.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    I passed on a couple MM 4x4 hub caps in the junk yard the other day. Went back and only 1 was remaining.
    Yeah these trucks & parts are winding down & wittling down to becoming scarce ~ I miss having the mainland Pick N Pull wrecking yards ~ Chargerx3 did the big snow affect you..?

Hope some folks will post pics of their wheels or wheels they like ~ off to phoning Titanium Automotive right now for some chrome & powdercoat answers... CYA & Thanks

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Yea its even getting more scarce now.

Anyways here are some 2019 Tacoma wheels on a SWB montero.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn_SKO3pHd8

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ain't that a cool VID Charger driving his SWB Montero in the Nevada snow wearing Tacoma wheels ~ they look similar to Honda CRV wheels (a little) I would say your Mitsubishi SUV is pretty rare, a keeper for sure, how fun is that..!

If only others would be so kind to post their wheels too thanks Charger

Well, I finally got through on the phone to a lady at Titanium Automotive about powdercoating & chroming ~ answer: A) each wheel with no tire mounted $80.00 min powdercoat B) each hub cap $80.00 min powdercoat C) no we don't do chroming buy chrome hubs caps on ebay D) you say your hub caps are scarce; OK m a y b e we can get them chromed but I need a photo with dimensions & it will be much more expensive than powder coating..! She said go here to choose your colors for an acurate price quote: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...coating-colors

For tire unmounting & mounting & balancing ~ Mgr Chad of Five-O-Motors on MCBH said they would let me park the truck in a covered outdoor stall on jack stands $5 or $10 a nite (I forgot) and he would try to use stick on weights before hammering on the traditional weights ~ mount $5.00 balance $10.00 (including spare tire wheel 5 x 80 / 5 x 15 /4 nites x 10 = 400 / 75 / 40 = 515 without hub caps) $515 is cheaper than Titanium Automotives quote last year of $650.00 for four wheels...

Nothings cheap anymore

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Thanks. In all fairness these will fit a MM, but they do no clear the fenders well with the current 18" wheel and BFG tire combo.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    We went with chromed center caps on the stock silver painted 15" wheels; a decent look & most affordable option... Where have I been..? This should have been posted long ago (!?!) Hope the pic rotated upright X'd fingers...
    Attached Images