Array
    Status
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Hi all it’s been a while

So last time I was here, I was the owner of a 1981 Plymouth Arrow! Sold it to my friend, missed it so much I had to buy a 1985 Ram50 well unfortunately it just wasn’t the same. It was lacking power was only a four-speed and power steering藍
    OK seriously that’s enough of my complaints, I still own the 1985 ram 50 and I have plans for it but those are in the future currently I am rebuilding the worn out engine that’s in it. So in all reality the engine that’s in it is supposed to be a G63B, but Surprise it’s a 1.8 L 4G62. OK so I guess I am complaining, that seems to be what I do best, so therefore I’m going to have many many questions!
    so my first question is what really is the difference between a G63B (4g63) and a 4g62, besides the bore and piston stroke?

The label in the engine compartment does say G63B so it’s supposed to be a 2 L, but yeah I’m pretty sure somebody did an engine swap with one of those hey we can bring it over with low mileage cheap engines because I cannot find anything sold in the United States that came with a 4G62.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The G62B is cosmetically identical to the G63B. It's an odd engine for a truck as it should be in a FWD car (AFAIK...) There are small differences in the FWD G6X engines like intake manifolds (radiator thermostat housing is on the opposite end compared to a RWD manifold) and external coolant gallery lay outs, but these can be swapped relatively easily. Big give away that it's out of a FWD is the engine support sticking out of the timing cover or a void in the cover where the cast iron support should be. Hey, might be wrong. The extra 200cc's will make a world of difference to your truck so finding a G63B is worth it (finding parts to rebuild it will be an easier task too) Be kind to yourself and invest in a Weber carb kit for it. The Mikuni OEM carb is unforgiving to work with if you need to rebuild or adjust it due to it's complexity. It also chokes the hell out of the engine.

*Be aware that the 4G64 EFI engines from later year model trucks will not bolt up to your transmission as it's a designated 'wide block' engine even though at first glance it looks near identical.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function