Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63

Alternate Part

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a replacement for the wiper motor other than the Cardone part that is going for $100.

There must be something close enough that will work, right?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Any luck cross referring images of universal 12v wiper motors? They seem to be really cheap...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I will give that a try, thanks!

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    Well, after a quick glance it looks like it is a fairly standard motor. It just has a funky mounting bracket attached to it.
    I will pull mine out and see what I can do.
    Thanks again!

Array
    Status
    ID
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63
    I got out to the garage today to take a look. A replacement may not be as easy you would hope, but I also think I may not need one now.

First, it's all one piece so you can't separate the motor from the bracket. Most of the universals are basically "bracketless" so you would need to fab something. Which I think would be easy enough. But then you would need to find one with a 10mm splined shaft to mate with the stock drive arm. The "uni's" I've seen have a square post. I think this is going to be the biggest problem.

Second, none are going to be match for the electrical connector. So some wiring will be needed. Again, shouldn't be a big deal.

A search for 4 hole motors found an Izuzu motor that looked right, but it was 24v. I don't know how you would make that work.

Anyway, I opened the thing up and regreased it. I also lubed the pivot points on the drive arms. It is running noticeably faster now, so maybe I'm good.

Don't remove the motor cylinder cover, unless you are familiar with such things. The brushes are the only serviceable items in there and mine looked new after 100k miles. Just remove the electrical cover and grease the drive gear.

Part# 159100-2101
    Shaft 10mm splined
    2 bracket bolts (A) 116mm center to center
    2 bracket bolts 104mm center to center

a2.jpga2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Good work - a clean out and repack would go a long way to making it actuate smoother. Joys of owning an older vehicle
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    check the actual arm pivots individually. Can often get reallly stiff on old vehicles. Motor gets blamed

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Mines not very good either. Its a reman cardone unit . My wiper arm pivots were very stiff and I replaced them with some used pieces from a parts truck. The ones on the cowl that the wiper arms bolt down on. They are plastic bodies with steel guts . I guess the plastic gets old and shrinks and or just get corroded internally.