Thread: 84 Prospector Needs New Transimission (help plz!)

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Question 84 Prospector Needs New Transimission (help plz!)

Hello!

My name is Shannon and I'm brand new to this site, so nice to meet y'all! I purchased a '84 Prospector about 6 months ago from a young man. The body and everything under the hood looks to be in fantastic shape; however, driving it around town one day about 3 months ago, the transmission went out. Suddenly, when I went to put it in to reverse to leave a parking lot, it would no longer reverse nor would it go above about 25 MPH.

Since then, I've talked to a mechanic who says it needs a whole new transmission, but apparently he has been unable to find one after looking for months. This is extremely outside of my area of expertise but I can imagine that the car 30+ years old and somewhat rare, it might be harder than others to find. I'm frustrated at this point because I would likely be more than happy to pay for the new transmission and labor but I've hit a wall and have no idea how to go about the search on my own (I don't even know what transmission it currently has... all the VIN look up websites I've tried so far don't give that info as far as I can tell.)

My questions are:

Can anyone help me to figure out what type of transmission I'm looking for?
    Is there any advice or resources for finding a transmission I should look into?
    Is this a worthwhile endeavor or should I try to find another mechanic instead who might be able to find one?

The VIN number is JB7FK24E3EY701324.

Any input or advice would be SO appreciated.

THANK YOU

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Welcome to MR50 shanoonski
    Transmission could be automatic or 4 or 5 speed manual ~ do you know what engine your truck has ? Post some photos include the engine bay and shifter ~ is your truck 4WD ?
    SMART FOLKS HERE -- answers soon

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. xboxrox has asked all the right questions. It looks like the 'Prospector' is a 4x4 only variant but it came in 2.6 and TD. Big question - will a Mighty Max transmission straight swap into it? There might be a difference with the Montero trans but I wouldn't exclude it. You'd have more luck finding one from a Gen 2 truck and it would be in better shape (well, hopefully...)
    I'm not a 4x4 guy
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by shanoonski View Post
    Can anyone help me to figure out what type of transmission I'm looking for?
    Is there any advice or resources for finding a transmission I should look into?
    There are two metal plates, one riveted to the firewall and the other to the radiator support above the passenger headlight. One of those has a “Trans Code” that identifies the type you have. Also, search Car-Part.com. You might find a used one there.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if it is a manual it is a KM145, if automatic it is a KM148.The auto is also known as a A904 - a mopar design licensed to Mitsubishi and Built by Aisin - warner in Japan. JB7 tells me it is the 2.6 motor.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980