Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Question Fuel pump location

So, this last January I had the head gasket crack in my 1993 Mighty Max 2.4l, and all my radiator fluid leaked out while driving. I've since managed to get it to a drivable state, though no certainty of when the gasket will blow completely. However, that's not related to my actual question, just some possibly related backstory.

My primary concern right now is that the fuel pump appears to have failed. It will crank but not turn over, and a mechanic friend of mine already confirmed that spark is getting through to the plugs, so it looks like a fuel pump replacement is in my future. I've done some research on Youtube and found some videos showing to remove the bed in order to access the tank, but in at least one case that was for the 3.0l model. I'm uncertain of the other videos I saw.

Is it the same in the 2.4l version? I couldn't find confirmation one way or the other, and would prefer to save the extra steps if they're not actually necessary. Especially since when my parents originally bought this truck, my dad put a topper on the back and it's been on there ever since. I'm quite sure it would be a bit of a pain to get it off after nearly 30 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The tank will drop down after removing 4 bolts, if yours is the same configuration as my '90 2.4. Taking the bed off is a terrible idea! Be careful when you drop the tank: the gauge sending unit wire needs to be disconnected before lowering the tank all the way to the ground.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    The tank will drop down after removing 4 bolts, if yours is the same configuration as my '90 2.4. Taking the bed off is a terrible idea! Be careful when you drop the tank: the gauge sending unit wire needs to be disconnected before lowering the tank all the way to the ground.
    Thanks for that. It seemed excessive to remove the whole bed, but that was what I found on YT. Much appreciated.