Thread: Stock Radio HELP PLEASE!! Im tired of staring at this giant hole in my dash

Array
    Status
    Las cruces, NM
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Stock Radio HELP PLEASE!! Im tired of staring at this giant hole in my dash

Hey folks, im trying to install a stock radio i bought off eBay. Im trying to wire in the factory harness because the previous owner wanted is touch screen HU back and cut the wires harness and all. I was left with a big hole in the center dash filled with a bunch of wires. the harness i bought is the Metra 71-1743. There is no ground wire coming from the harness, and the back of the bag says "if black wire isn't present then to ground to the chassis." Question one is, i know where to ground to the chassis but where do i ground to the actual HU? since there isn't a ground coming from the harness, do i ground to the outside or shell of the HU? If so, where is there a good spot to ground on the HU? Ive attached photos of: the wires coming from the truck, the new harness or harnesses, the back of the bag of the harness, the HU i bought off eBay. Many thanks!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    A good ground is to the same ground the cigarette lighter uses
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ground to chassis means you'd ground the chassis (housing) of the head unit to the chassis (body/frame) of the truck. If that hole at the rear center of your main HU fits into a metal stud on the bulkhead behind the dash, there's your ground.

The other wire colors in your harness appear to conform to the industry standard:
    https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/headunitharness.asp
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    FL
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I will gladly buy that radio off you

Quote Originally Posted by RossOtero View Post
    Hey folks, im trying to install a stock radio i bought off eBay. Im trying to wire in the factory harness because the previous
    owner wanted is touch screen HU back and cut the wires harness and all. I was left with a big hole in the center dash filled with a bunch of wires. the harness i bought is the Metra 71-1743. There is no ground wire coming from the harness, and the back of the bag says "if black wire isn't present then to ground to the chassis." Question one is, i know where to ground to the chassis but where do i ground to the actual HU? since there isn't a ground coming from the harness, do i ground to the outside or shell of the HU? If so, where is there a good spot to ground on the HU? Ive attached photos of: the wires coming from the truck, the new harness or harnesses, the back of the bag of the harness, the HU i bought off eBay. Many thanks!