Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Which cylinder head do I get?

I'm currently having an engine shop do a rebuild for my 1988 mighty max and they told me the cylinder head is cracked. Do you happen to know if I should repair it or just replace it? I found a cylinder head on rockauto, but there is two choices to pick from. I don't know which one to choose. How do I know which is the correct head for my truck? It's a G54B engine. Screenshot_20211116-064212_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also, any tips about the G54B engine rebuilding process I should let the engine shop know?

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BJH324JH View Post
    I'm currently having an engine shop do a rebuild for my 1988 mighty max and they told me the cylinder head is cracked. Do you happen to know if I should repair it or just replace it? I found a cylinder head on rockauto, but there is two choices to pick from. I don't know which one to choose. How do I know which is the correct head for my truck? It's a G54B engine. Screenshot_20211116-064212_Samsung Internet.jpg

Also, any tips about the G54B engine rebuilding process I should let the engine shop know?
    What do you guys think of this cylinder head?:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164247587066

Has mechanical lifters rather than hydraulic. I was told on the phone that mechanical lifters are much better than hydraulic lifters. The guy told me they would just have to be adjusted after 30,000 miles. He told me the head is cast in China with no jet valve ports. He said everything else on the cylinder head is made in the U.S.A, out in Vegas. From the little research I did, jet valves seem to Crack the cylinder head. So, that's why the majority of people dislike them.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164247587066

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Mechanical is the way to go. Jet valves can also burn out. It's not so much the jet valves crack the head but the threaded hole into the combustion chamber creates a weak point in the casting. The constant expanding and contracting of the steel jet valve body in the die cast alloy leads to the alloy getting stressed and if you're unlucky for those heat cycles to be excessive, it'll crack through where there is the least amount of alloy in the combustion chamber between recesses/holes.

*new head - always do a leak down test on a bench. Make sure all the valves are seating properly before it gets installed. There are some garbage heads on the market and some of the worst culprits are after market performance heads for V8's. Port match the intake to the head. Nothing nuts, just a small ramp/taper on the intake port entrances to the head to tidy it up. It will help improve intake air/fuel charge velocity.

**addendum - don't go 'by the book' to set lifter clearances. It'll rattle like a typewriter. My experience is get the engine up to operating temps and adjust them by feel. It takes a little practice but once they're set, they won't need to be touched for a long time. It will run quieter and you'll get full advantage of valve lift which = power.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Mechanical is the way to go. Jet valves can also burn out. It's not so much the jet valves crack the head but the threaded hole into the combustion chamber creates a weak point in the casting. The constant expanding and contracting of the steel jet valve body in the die cast alloy leads to the alloy getting stressed and if you're unlucky for those heat cycles to be excessive, it'll crack through where there is the least amount of alloy in the combustion chamber between recesses/holes.

*new head - always do a leak down test on a bench. Make sure all the valves are seating properly before it gets installed. There are some garbage heads on the market and some of the worst culprits are after market performance heads for V8's. Port match the intake to the head. Nothing nuts, just a small ramp/taper on the intake port entrances to the head to tidy it up. It will help improve intake air/fuel charge velocity.

**addendum - don't go 'by the book' to set lifter clearances. It'll rattle like a typewriter. My experience is get the engine up to operating temps and adjust them by feel. It takes a little practice but once they're set, they won't need to be touched for a long time. It will run quieter and you'll get full advantage of valve lift which = power.
    Thank you so much for the valuable information. I'm glad you are still active on the forum. It's been a while since I've been here. Also, what's the chance of the cast iron block to be cracked as well?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Not common, but it does happen. Mostly on the face of the block deck around the head bolt holes. It might be more the Conquest/Starquest/Starion engines due to boost or overtorqued bolts(?) Another place the blocks have been known to crack is the exhaust side of the block between the freeze plugs (this is on early Astron I 2.6 blocks) Generally the 2.6 block is a tough chunk of metal...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Not common, but it does happen. Mostly on the face of the block deck around the head bolt holes. It might be more the Conquest/Starquest/Starion engines due to boost or overtorqued bolts(?) Another place the blocks have been known to crack is the exhaust side of the block between the freeze plugs (this is on early Astron I 2.6 blocks) Generally the 2.6 block is a tough chunk of metal...
    Thank you geezer. What goes into a full engine rebuild? What components get fixed/repaired?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Generally, the block gets hot tanked and goes through a check - cylinder bores, deck face and machined. Crank gets hot tanked as well, checked over and journals machined or linished depending on the condition (there are oil journals that pass through the crank and these can get plugged up with crud - if it dislodges after getting a once over it can wreck new bearings). Add new bottom end bearings for the main crank journals and the rods. Rods are retained. If it's just a freshen up you can get away with keeping the pistons, install new standard rings and a light hone of the bores. If the bores are no longer 'true' or have some scoring, factor in the block getting rebored and new pistons to match. If you've already got it apart then new timing chains and guides are on the list. Think about getting a replacement water pump too. Check clearances in the oil pump gears and inspect the housing for wear on the contact faces in the housings. Get a complete VRS kit with the rocker/valve cover and the half moon seal for the rear of the head. An engine rebuild is not a cheap endeavour, but as long as the machining is good and all the clearances are within tolerance you'll end up with an engine you won't have to mess with for 10 years.

*addendum - replace the rear seal. It'll suck to have the whole thing assembled and running sweet, only to have the rear seal fail and start drooling oil out of it...
    Last edited by geezer101; 11-23-2021 at 07:50 PM.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Generally, the block gets hot tanked and goes through a check - cylinder bores, deck face and machined. Crank gets hot tanked as well, checked over and journals machined or linished depending on the condition (there are oil journals that pass through the crank and these can get plugged up with crud - if it dislodges after getting a once over it can wreck new bearings). Add new bottom end bearings for the main crank journals and the rods. Rods are retained. If it's just a freshen up you can get away with keeping the pistons, install new standard rings and a light hone of the bores. If the bores are no longer 'true' or have some scoring, factor in the block getting rebored and new pistons to match. If you've already got it apart then new timing chains and guides are on the list. Think about getting a replacement water pump too. Check clearances in the oil pump gears and inspect the housing for wear on the contact faces in the housings. Get a complete VRS kit with the rocker/valve cover and the half moon seal for the rear of the head. An engine rebuild is not a cheap endeavour, but as long as the machining is good and all the clearances are within tolerance you'll end up with an engine you won't have to mess with for 10 years.

*addendum - replace the rear seal. It'll suck to have the whole thing assembled and running sweet, only to have the rear seal fail and start drooling oil out of it...
    Thank you geezer for the valuable information. The engine has been completely rebuilt. Is it unusual though that they used shellac on the headgasket? I've always have been told to install a headgasket dry. This shop also told me they would install American made pistons. I showed up one day uninvited and saw the box of pistons on the table.
    Took a picture of the company and called them regarding where the pistons were made, they told me Taiwan. I then asked them to use a felpro head gasket, they didn't. He acted stupid and told me I never spoke with him about using a felpro head gasket. Which is a lie. He told me he was going to strip off all the rust away. Still rust on the pipe. He offered to paint over it! The engine was painted poorly. There is paint in places there shouldn't be, like the inside of the engine oil dipstick tube and the inside of where the water pump installs. He told me he would get rid of all the rust in the hot tank. I think he just painted over the rust. He also used shellac on the engine oil pan. It's probably going to be a bitch when I have to replace the oil pan gasket under the truck. I imagine the oil pan was just cleaned and they probably didn't even bother to remove the rust. Just painted over it. The bottom of the oil pan is also heavily scratched. I have a one year warranty, but, I'm afraid they won't honor it if anything goes wrong. I honestly don't feel comfortable this engine will last. There is just too many weird things that happened with the engine builders and the work they performed. What should I do?
    Last edited by BJH324JH; 12-10-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Yeah... had my share of shitty machine shops/shady folk..... those lyin crooked bastards
    Actually steered me toward purchasing 'good running' powerplants instead
    dunno if you can scroll thru threads and find a contact for "Randy" or "Dad" we starquest folks call him.
    older experienced knowlegable machine shop owner & starquest member enthusiast. Just the cool type we all like
    Website had tons of 2.6 parts at great prices
    greedy realtors basicly shut down his business..... under the guise of this covid bullshit
    knock the wind out of him, I'd imagine.... but i think i recall him mentioning 'limited activity'
    Too bad someone couldn't pick up where he left off. Good places AND people are gettin hella hard to find
    Like the world has been in a downward spiral.... on a negative vibration. All 'good' fading away

https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/...arts/#comments
    https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/...and-oem-parts/

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh FFS. It doesn't 'really' matter where parts are sourced from as long as the guys selling and installing it are legit. If they're billing you for gold and you get lead, they need to be called out. You can buy a decent turbo under $200 and it'll be made in China. Only reason why it's cheap is the sheer volume they can produce them at (yes there is garbage on the market) I am feeling your distrust with this shop and I can't blame you. Whole lotta BS vibes coming from them. Building an engine is a pain in the ass - sourcing parts, finding time to do it, trucks off the road, having the vaguest idea of WTF you are doing lol... these clowns will encourage you to DIY it. It's a horrible learning experience but you'll cut your teeth and save some money in the process.

I had a reputable shop do a bottom end and block for me. Did a good job too - hot tanked the block, decked and bored, straightened the crank. And then, the head... got it back, the main oil gallery was sealed and luckily I cracked it open before installing it. Full of BLASTING MEDIA. Poured out like sand from one of my work boots. This one oversight would've catastrophically destroyed the engine on first start. I've been using one shop since day one to do my head work, and this one time I went with the guys I'd chosen to freshen up an engine. Ask around, use google. You won't always get 100% satisfied customers or reviews as some people just can't be pleased and random things go wrong. But if you get a bunch of negative strikes you have a fair idea of what you're getting into with whoever is earning a bad rep.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I've installed the engine but what has me anxious is the distributor. Is there specific way to install a distributor or do I just stick it in the cylinder head, bolt it up and twist the distributor back and forth till it sounds good? Yup, I'm a newb at this.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There is a small dimple drilled into the shaft gear on the distributor that needs to be lined up with the alignment mark on the distributor body. This should get the rotor pointing before #1 post on the distributor cap. Make sure the crank is on TDC #1. Install the distributor with the cap off and the stud for the locking nut in the centre of the adjusting slot and push the distributor into the head. The rotor will move into position just before or onto the location of #1 post in the cap. Tighten the locking nut, install the cap and leads and start it up. If you've got it right it will fire straight up. Adjust the advance/retard on the ignition timing.

Now to have some fun. You will need a hand held tach/dwell meter. Remove the plugs and re-gap the electrodes to 0.85mm. Loosen off the distributor locking nut and start the engine. Hold the engine rpm @ 2000 and gently swing the distributor between advance/retard until you hit a sweet spot and the engine rpm's jump by themselves (might take 2 people to pull this off as holding rpm's fixed at one ratio can be tricky) Once you have found the sweet spot, back off the advance a tiny bit and tighten the distributor locking nut. Test drive and check for any signs of detonation/hesitation. If you've nailed it the engine will be nice and responsive, especially on gear changes.

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Call Clearwater cyl. Head in Fl. They are a rebuilder and fair prices. Replaced a couple and looked fresh and worked well. prices

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    There is a small dimple drilled into the shaft gear on the distributor that needs to be lined up with the alignment mark on the distributor body. This should get the rotor pointing before #1 post on the distributor cap. Make sure the crank is on TDC #1. Install the distributor with the cap off and the stud for the locking nut in the centre of the adjusting slot and push the distributor into the head. The rotor will move into position just before or onto the location of #1 post in the cap. Tighten the locking nut, install the cap and leads and start it up. If you've got it right it will fire straight up. Adjust the advance/retard on the ignition timing.

Now to have some fun. You will need a hand held tach/dwell meter. Remove the plugs and re-gap the electrodes to 0.85mm. Loosen off the distributor locking nut and start the engine. Hold the engine rpm @ 2000 and gently swing the distributor between advance/retard until you hit a sweet spot and the engine rpm's jump by themselves (might take 2 people to pull this off as holding rpm's fixed at one ratio can be tricky) Once you have found the sweet spot, back off the advance a tiny bit and tighten the distributor locking nut. Test drive and check for any signs of detonation/hesitation. If you've nailed it the engine will be nice and responsive, especially on gear changes.
    Thanks, I'm going to try this and see how it goes.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanklo View Post
    Call Clearwater cyl. Head in Fl. They are a rebuilder and fair prices. Replaced a couple and looked fresh and worked well. prices
    Ended up going with them.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    For the timing, where are these alignment marks on the distributor? Screenshot_20211231-165001_Gallery.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    For the timing, where are these alignment marks on the distributor? Screenshot_20211231-165001_Gallery.jpg
    I do see the drilled dimple. I just don't know what I align the drilled dimple to?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I do see the drilled dimple. I just don't know what I align the drilled dimple to?
    From the FSM:

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    From the FSM:

Awwwww thanks, that clears up what geezer said. School was right, I am a visual learner.

Found this interesting piece of information as well:
    https://www.yourmechanic.com/questio...ting-by-windle

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I wasn't 100% sure where the mark on the distributor body was located and I was too lazy to trawl through the PDF's to find it. Please tell me you got your engine firing right Now for the fun part - dialing in the tune and getting 'er to pull like a train

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I wasn't 100% sure where the mark on the distributor body was located and I was too lazy to trawl through the PDF's to find it. Please tell me you got your engine firing right Now for the fun part - dialing in the tune and getting 'er to pull like a train
    I got the engine up and running. Unfortunately, engine rebuilders screwd up on some things on the engine. The oil pan is leaking a crazy amount of oil in the rear of the engine pan. Right next to the transmission bell housing cover. Another thing, one of the engine freeze plugs literally popped right off into the street somewhere. Texted the engine shop for a new one, no responds. My engine almost over heated, I pulled over to the curb before it got too hot. Only went to the center on the temperature guage. All the coolant gushed out of the side next to the starter. Had to call triple AAA and get the truck towed 23 miles. It was cold and new years eve. Had to sleep in my truck in the freaking cold to wait for a tow truck. Thank God for the bench seat. The tow truck didn't arrive till the next day at 5 in the morning when I got woken up by a AAA technician calling my phone to let me know they found a tow truck driver. The crazy part about this whole experience is the tow truck driver lived across the street from where my truck was parked on the side of the road! Pretty cool driver, we chatted it up along the way back to my place. The guy has worked multiple jobs. Anyways, I bought the new freeze plug, needed my truck working again. Didn't have the time to argue with the engine shop. Getting the freeze plug was not fun! Let's put it this way, American public transportation is slow! Something 15min away takes an 1hour in the bus. Smeared permatex number 2 on the freeze plug and on the engine and hammered it in the engine. Went in smoothly. Although, I felt it could have been tighter. Hopefully it doesn't pop out again. Now the truck is back up and running but idles like crap. Doesn't stay on unless I gas it. I'm guessing this is a combination of the distributor and carburetor?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Which carburetor do you have? Mikuni or Weber? If a Weber make sure all the unused manifold vacuum ports are capped. If a Mikuni, check the hose routing, port connections and hose integrity. Also, check the eight-pin connector of the carburetor harness. A poor connection to the shut-off solenoid will prevent it from idling.
    Last edited by FMS88; 01-03-2022 at 11:00 AM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What an ordeal. Check for engine vacuum leaks, fuel delivery, carb settings like idle stop and A/F mixture then check the distributor install and timing.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Which carburetor do you have? Mikuni or Weber? If a Weber make sure all the unused manifold vacuum ports are capped. If a Mikuni, check the hose routing, port connections and hose integrity. Also, check the eight-pin connector of the carburetor harness. A poor connection to the shut-off solenoid will prevent it from idling.
    This 8 pin connector to the Mikuni carb became a big deal for me once; it caused the engine to idle like real crap ~ the fix ~ sprayed electronic cleaner & even used paint thinner in both male & female connector ends and used nylon brush rags Q-tips etc... to remove all the damn silicone I put in there to keep out the water & make good electrical contact ~ with the silicone grease removed the truck ran great again..!

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I have a weber carburetor. 32/36 I believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast