Thread: Comparing diesel to gas Power Ram 50??

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Comparing diesel to gas Power Ram 50??

Please tell me I don't want a turbo diesel Power Ram 50??

I've put so much time and money into my 86 gasoline pickup and I've just about got everything running fine. Still looks like an old truck but I like them to wear their age proudly.

Now I've stumbled onto a project, same pickup as mine but the motor is all torn down ready to be rebuilt 4d55 turbo. Somebody tell me I don't want it??!

I've always wondered how our Gen 1 pickups do with the turbo diesel for Power and gas mileage? To be honest, I'd hoped for more power from my 2.6 G54b now that I've rebuilt it, added headers and the Weber carb.

Anybody been able to compare comparable trucks between the gas and diesel? Which has better power, gas mileage? Parts availability??

Thanks in advance

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Buy a crash tested Toyota Hybrid SUV (@ gsa auctions) and build an electric Ram50..? Forget diesel IMHO...

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ha ha ha! I love your humble opinion, thanks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The TD 4D55 is ok but not on a stock turbo. Put a decent sized turbo on it and it will do what it does but better. The diesel is all about torque. It is down on HP compared to the 4G54 and is a bit more finnicky to work on (take a look at the number of posts asking about injector and pump problems...) Not saying it's 'bad', but it's a different kind of animal to work on. Just an observation
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    If you've not messed with diesels before, you have sort of new experience coming.
    Basic principles of combustion are similar, similar assembly procedures, but (as was mentioned earlier) the biggest issues with these engines is the injection pump and timing.
    Also - Parts are not as easy to find as the gas counterparts.

If the injection pump is set at the factory, great. Since you would be assembling the engine, (your fist time with a diesel?) you may have some fun.

Meh, if the engine is complete and all parts are there, and here's the key - it's cheap - go for it.
    It will be an adventure.

One note: Be SURE to have a real factory type assembly manual. Not all manuals are created equal.

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Well thanks everybody, I think I will pass on it. If I didn't already have plenty of other projects I'd go for it but nah, I think I'll just enjoy the gas truck I have.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    diesel swap prolly not for you if you're asking if you want one. Best link up with someone experienced if you go that route
    Poke around, it may work for you. All depends on your expectations vs capabilities
    some diesel swaps exist:
    this guy also posts his diesel pickup. Starion swap basicly same
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...Diesel-Starion

1st starion clubmember diesel swap. Useful tips in thread
    https://www.starquestclub.com/forum/...e-diesel-talk/
    video of this lightly moded diesel starion in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvcvpDAghY

To be honest, I'd hoped for more power from my 2.6 G54b now that I've rebuilt it, added headers and the Weber carb
    2.6 needs 'tuning'. Cam confirmed in sync... then a PROPERLY ground cam give noticeable gains. Enough hp ? Bike carbs ? Dunno
    Starion 2.6 is the bolt-in goto. Many 80s mitsu trucks and SUVs gone that route for a reason. Tremendous performance leap
    Even bolt-n TBI mods would leave a hopped up diesel in the dust.