Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Body Lift

Greetings, I am upgrading my 31 inch tires for some 33 inch tires, the problem I'm having is that in its current state my truck barely fits the 31s, so to save time and effort with upgrading the front suspension, I'm just going to do a 2 inch body lift, has anybody out there done a body lift? Were there many problems you had to fix/ correct because of it?

Thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Body lift kits will reposition the factory bumpers and will require adapter brackets to make them align with the cab and tub properly (custom formed bumpers will solve the issue). Steering link geometry will have to be factored in as well + the gear shift lever position to the transmission tunnel (auto will need modified linkages, manual shift will have the lever set deeper below floor level - the rubber shifter dust boot won't like it much) . A 2" kit isn't that radical to pull off but remember small things like heater and radiator hoses will be affected + clutch fan position will no longer be aligned...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Body lift kits will reposition the factory bumpers and will require adapter brackets to make them align with the cab and tub properly (custom formed bumpers will solve the issue). Steering link geometry will have to be factored in as well + the gear shift lever position to the transmission tunnel (auto will need modified linkages, manual shift will have the lever set deeper below floor level - the rubber shifter dust boot won't like it much) . A 2" kit isn't that radical to pull off but remember small things like heater and radiator hoses will be affected + clutch fan position will no longer be aligned...

I do not have a rear bumper anymore, the front bumper is no issue to fix, it might actually have to go up anyways because I am putting in a front hitch for my winch. I have a manual trans, so thats no too bad, Im going to electric fans for cooling, how bad do you think the steering is going to be off, will it be just as bad as if I did a suspension lift? Do you think it will effect the clutch linkage much, thats is my real concern, I have never done a body lift but it looks like its going to be easier than the suspension lift in this case.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Clutch should be fine, all it will do is alter the route downwards 50ish mm. Electric cooling fans for the win either way with or without a lift kit. The steering - not sure how it will affect link alignment. It will need some kind of modification as the steering column shaft isn't going to mate with the steering box. A splined uni joint as a joiner? Shimming the steering column mounts from inside the cab to alter the shaft angle? They did come with tilt adjustable steering columns so that might work...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah mine has a tilt steering, I didnt think of that, I might have to move things up or down to see if that will work, there is a lot of work I have to do before she done, thanks for the help btw!