Thread: Vacuum port identifier

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Yep. I think it went to a nipple in the air cleaner. Looking at your pictures I think I did see the float bole vent was plugged. It should go to the canister. It should be the line off the top of the float bole. If there not vented correctly it can run rich. If you wanted to remove the extra tube from the carb you can stick a BB in there and JB weld it and paint to match. Now it should run like a rapped ape again.
    Thats mighty clean under the hood. Are you sure it's a D50????
    Last edited by camoit; 02-02-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Are you sure about the bowl vent? I thought I had this 1 right. Which port are you talking about using a BB/JB weld on?

Yes I’m sure…it’s a Power Ram D50…”Baby Hemi”
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Never mind I was looking at the wrong picture. The BB and JB weld would go into the hose you had blowing off all the time from the jet valve. It would just clean it up. It won't be used once you put in the elimination kit.
    Any time a SMOG guy sees something with a plug or open hole they think there is somthing wrong. I can't tell you how many times I had to show them how the secondary EGR system worked on the first gens. They could not wrap there heads around pulling the one EGR open with a vacuum pump while pulling on the secondary EGR Ding-A -Ling to make the engine idle rough to test it. But that was way back in stage 2 SMOG law, when you could retard the engine 22 deg. and get it to pass.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    A dab of JB weld alone would work on this port, it’s less than half the size (BB to large) of the other ports. Since I don’t have to worry about SMOG in my area, I probably will just leave it as is.

Truck sure does idle better as well as run better. At times getting some popping/backfire out the exhaust, sometimes it sounds as if it’s coming out the carb...which can't be good. This is noticed mostly when it’s cold or after it’s been sitting a few hours. Any ideas?

Did you look at the other port indicated by the blue arrow/dot?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Sorry for the late reply but the shit is hitting the fan here with the state and other inspections with the CHP.

OK so how is it running now that you have removed the air jets? I think the air jets are sticking on the other cylinders. That can cause the popping. So can the fresh air injection system in the exhaust.
    Once that is out of the way we can pick away at the rest of the smog ports. About how high on the carb does that port sit?
    One thing at a time. Otherwise you won't know if what you did actually made it run better or worse. I always did things one at a time to reduce the chance of 2 things creating 1 big problem. I'll try to put up a drawing of how the ports are exposed to vacuum to determine when things happen.
    One thing you can do is run through the first gen PDF manual and fallow the diagnoses flow chart. There is quite a bunch of things that are relevant to your engine. All they did is add to it in the later years by adding the feedback carb and O2 sensor.
    Last edited by camoit; 02-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    This port (blue dot) feeds directly into the carb’s secondary. It’s located just below the “Bowl vent port” (red circle).

After fixing the stuck open jet valve, the truck does run quieter, no longer blowing back thru that port on the carb. Still having the popping/backfire that sounds if it’s coming thru the intake/carb…& sometimes thru the exhaust. So I pulled the valve cover & removed the other 3 jet valves. All 3 are intact & operator as they should.

Could this be my problem? Notice the intake valve spring, it appears to be stuck. If the spring isn’t coming completely up then the valve is not closing all the way…right? What can cause this? Would this explain the backfire? Is there an easy/quick solution?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Place a straight edge across all the valves. They should all be the same hight. If there is one to low it's stuck. One to high it's pulling through the seat. Ether one of the 2 is bad news. That is pull the head time. The picture looks like it was installed upside down or it's collapsing the spring.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you need to replace the spring it can be done with out pulling the head. You need a good air compressor. Then you use the hose from a CLT tester to keep air in the cylinder so the valve will stay up when pulling the spring off and replacing it. Be sure to set the brake and place the truck in 4 gear with the cylinder you are working on at TDC. This way if the valve does drop in it won't go all the way in and you have the chance to pull it back up and set the air to seal it.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    They appear to be the same height. What maybe installed upside down? the spring? If so can that cause a problem with regard to how it opens & closes? Any insight on the port?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    The port may be for some other application like the mini vans or Aries K car that the engine was in. Just plug it solid for now. Once you get the back fire problem fixed you can go back to the vacuum port. Look at the other springs and see if there the same. If it's up side down it should work fine. But if it's the incorrect one then it might cause a problem.
    More pictures diferent angles please. That will help
    Last edited by camoit; 02-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I think it's the right one, just maybe upside down. What a good way to tell if that valve is seating all the way?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    You use a CLT tester. Compression Leek Test. It is gage set up that you thread a hose into the spark plug hole. Then you pump compressed air into the cylinder. 1 gage shows the feed air pressure the other shows the cylinder air pressure. Then you stick an ear to the intake and exhaust pipe and listen for air. They might rent them at Pep Boys for free.

02-14-12_1153.jpg
    Last edited by camoit; 02-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, I'll see if I can acquire one for testing. Take a look at the rocker arm assemble, this is the end near the fire-wall. Where can I get one of the plugs? I don't know how or how long its been missing...will oil leak from this?
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I'm unsure about this cap. I had solid cam followers on my truck. Look in the manual section to see if it had it on the end. Look in the LSR Mike post or find your manual in the over 216 manual area. I would guess it's in there. Otherwise ask one of the other Senior members that have the same year or older. Sorry IDK on this one.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I obtained a ˝” plug from a local machine shop to tap into the rear rocker arm assembly. I also cleaned the rocker-arm assembly, especially where the lifters reside. I cleaned, bleed and refilled the lifters with diesel fluid. From the pic. you can see air bubbles escaping as the lifter fills with diesel fluid...

Just installed the Jet Valve Elimination kit (JVE156), replacing the OEM Jet Valves (MD009440). Notice in the pic. the height difference and the improved “O” ring.

It idles smoother and sounds quieter now, like it did before the jet valve issue. Now just needs to take it for a test drive and see how it performs.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Did you see that the one in the middle is taller then the others. It was getting ready to come apart. It's about 0.050 inch taller. I bet she will have some power now.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Quote Originally Posted by dstock View Post
    I obtained a ˝” plug from a local machine shop to tap into the rear rocker arm assembly. I also cleaned the rocker-arm assembly, especially where the lifters reside. I cleaned, bleed and refilled the lifters with diesel fluid. From the pic. you can see air bubbles escaping as the lifter fills with diesel fluid...

Just installed the Jet Valve Elimination kit (JVE156), replacing the OEM Jet Valves (MD009440). Notice in the pic. the height difference and the improved “O” ring.

It idles smoother and sounds quieter now, like it did before the jet valve issue. Now just needs to take it for a test drive and see how it performs.

I have a '87Montero that I believe has the the same engine as the D50. I live right outside of Roanoke so not far at all from Martinsville. I was wondering how everything has been going since you install the jet valve elimination kit? I've had the engine rebuilt in mine several years ago and they used a balance shaft elimination kit then, however I don't believe they did a jet valve elimination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12