Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

5 speed manual transmission noise? 1986 Power Ram 4x4

My 1986 manual transmission is a little noisy in all gears except 4th. 4th is nice and quiet, I only hear the motor hum... In all the other gears it sounds a little whiney or slushy but easy to get used to and tune out. It shifts into and holds every gear just fine. Is this fairly normal for a truck with almost 200k miles? I just rebuilt the motor myself last year and used a new clutch kit and throw out bearing so I'm pretty sure it's the tranny. I took it to a local shop that has a good reputation and he said I ought to go ahead and rebuild it before it gets worse. He said it could be simple and cost as little as $400 but probably $1k to $1800 if he has to fully rebuild it... and that's with me pulling/ installing the transmission myself. I'd love to hear any and all advice or experience from fellow Ram 50 enthusiasts, thanks in advance!!

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Some noise is to be expected, but since you don't hear it in 4th and given what the technician said, I'd be concerned. My '88 developed the same symptoms at 100k and a friends '86 at 150k. If you got 200k out of it, you did very well. Still, get a second or third opinion just to be sure everyone has the same assessment and estimate. If they do, with that kind of mileage and having rebuilt the engine, I'd have it fully rebuilt. After removal, shop time is 8-9 hours. You might knock off a little time if you remove the transfer case yourself. Part costs are difficult to estimate. If it needs only bearings, synchros and gaskets, I'd expect a $1000-1200 bill. Seattle's an expensive place to live, so it might be a bit less in CO. But get it done as soon as you can. Driving it will only make matters worse and potentially more expensive. Good luck

Array
    Status
    Red Feather Lakes, CO
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks, I did go ahead and take it to the shop. I've put too much work into that truck to neglect the tranny. I was tempted to try to do the job myself but I think it'll be worth letting the pro do it right the first time.