Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Valve tap and (shushing)? noise

90 mm 2.4l with rebuilt head installed. Also came w/ speced cam and new hydraulic lifters. Soaked and primed lifters before install. Now sounds like 1 or 2 valves tap but at the same time I hear a shushing noise ,fairly loud, that I can't pinpoint. Tested all external parts and it comes from (facing) right front area. At idle it starts a few seconds after start and then shh shh shh at approx.75 times per minute.
    After a long wind description question is could the tap and shh be related or a potential cause be given. Going to do oil pressure test to see how it reads. Any other suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Hey Lanklo...I had the exact same year and engine. I replaced the lifters just like you, only two or three of them were upside-down. I had to remove the lifter assembly, pull them out and turn them around. You might consider that task, painful though it may be.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Walkersville,MD
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    l'll check them. I try to be methodical but still f*** things up, alot.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Be aware that hydraulic heads don't work well with high lift cams and/or heavy duty valvetrain springs. As a rule of thumb SOHC Mitsubishi engines perform better with more duration than lift (lift can actually kill performance in these engines). Hopefully it's as Roy has pointed out and you have 1 or 2 lash adjusters in the wrong way and it's an easy fix.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function