Haverstraw NY
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G64B

K24 swap capabilities? into my 86 2.0

K24 swap capabilities?
    thinking of venturing into this on my 86 2.0 Ram50
    If i have to make custom parts anyone else interested?

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    K24 swap into miatas run $8-10,000 according to them = garbage for what you get. https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=2832
    a complete waste of money for that level of performance imo. Gotta be a "honda head" to justify
    Maybe you found alot cheaper way ? Far less costly, better performing, more sensible options available imo
    I suppose swap into a starion would be similar to truck https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYaerKDgek

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I don't get it... a K24 Honda swap into a Mitsubishi Starion. With the 4G63 as a bolt in option and the absurd amount of aftermarket support for it plus it's equally absurd reputation for making power, it's like putting an SR20T into a Lambo. A lotta work for If you are genuinely chasing horses, the 1G 6 bolt 4G63 engine is tried and true. Lots of info about the process and what needs to be modified/fabricated and it'll bolt straight up to the KM132 5 speed gearbox. I'm not intending to roast you on your plan - I'm all for sumpin' different and it's your truck at the end of the day.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I believe the 'lure' of the K24 is it's abundance, hence reasonable price to source the motor itself
    Like all hondas, delivers reliable performance, but..... could do alot better with that budget
    Without a turbo, they suk, and sound like shit. Never heard one sound 'good' even boosted.... to each their own tho

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I lived in Baton Rouge for 10 years.
    The shop I hung out at did every kind of Honda turbo set up imaginable. They have an in floor dyno and use it regularly.

The K24 has aftermarket support like the Small Block Chevy. I saw guys making 800 turbo HPs EASY with some of the K24s. This is corn fed, but on pump gas it was closer to 500 HPs.
    I can guarantee that the 4G63 doesn't have the support that the Honda has, and I am willing to bet that it would be 30% more expensive (minimum) to reach the same HP output that the Honda can produce for less cost.
    Don't misunderstand please. I am not a big Honda fan.
    BUT...
    The guys in Baton Rouge have everything AND the knowledge / experience to make the POS K24 go very fast.
    This is probably why many go for the K24.
    And BTW, when was the last time you heard a "full on" Mazda rotary sound?
    PAINFUL!!

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    ya, rotary sound horrid

nothing special about any turbo honda. How useless is an 800hp honda torque band in a street mitsu pickup ? Garbage
    Some get off on peak hp 'numbers' & headflow. They don't even begin to tell the whole story of the 'drive'
    Scream a motor to the last quadrant on the tach, just to feel the beans ? Gets old quick
    I have no idea what original poster is after

I think what is conveyed here is the practicality of the 4G, with all the build options and details available
    What can't a 4G do peformancewise ? Stock 2.0 dyno 600hp with a $150 holset turbo

Let's discuss cost then. What does it cost to setup a rwd K24 ? Miata guys claim is totally ridiculou$$$
    Also, aftermarket support is nonsense. How much more do you need ?
    A heavy AWD DSM + two 200 pound aboard, can push you in the seat from just over 2000rpm, pulling progressively harder thru the gear
    In every gear. Stock DSM manifolds & upgraded bolt on moded mitsu turbo, tuned via stock mitsu ecu. Perfect daily torque
    No honda 4 has anything on that... let alone at a lower cost

At the extreme end, remember the mighty 2JZs dominance in the Nopi series, when trying to take import drag mainstream ?
    Towards the end, they emptied ALL brands into the 2JZ piranah tank. It was brutal and ugly. A massacre (even honda V6 couldn't)
    EXCEPT for a lone 2.0 stubborn mitsu, that refuse to go away. Slit those JZ throats one by one
    DESPITE the weight handicap favouring them trying to help those 3.0 liter JZ bullies secure the win.
    That amazing little 2 liter "engine that could", not only clinched the championship, but....
    set the world record on their ass in the grand finale. The cherry on top. Honda who ?

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    A 'civilized' K24 should do ok in a street mighty max. Without the noise, should drive like a manual honda accord
    ...but with added stronger top end on demand. A considerable improvement vs stock. Only if at a sensible price tag tho

A rundown of honda k24 swap into a nissan 240sx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqNUrF1IaE

these two goofballs are a classic case of what happens when you bite a hunk off the 'honda hype'
    they actuall try to compare the K24 to a LS or SR20det. Yep, that's how stupid hype makes you
    That noisy slow donk, is the biggest pos I've seen swapped into an S-chasis. Waste of $8k on a good platform
    Said K24 so loud, he couldn't even hear the other car honk to start the race. What fun

immediately turd polished with cams, intake mani & tune, added to the headers. Why ? Hmmmm
    For a fraction of the cost:
    1UZ lexus V8 bolts to the 240sx stock 5 speed, with Brents adapter. No comparison
    $150 Holset HX35 on stock nissan 2.4 lites em up immediately, torque everywhere, smooth, quiet
    junkyard LS1 and redtop SR20 on its T25.... both gone mid 12s, street 240sx BONE stock(NO turb polish required)

K24 nowhere in the same league. NEEDs boost, and swap way too expensive imo.... please hang up & try your call again - lol

Array
    Status
    Washington
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    With all disrespect these old timers seem to have a stick up their asses, stuck to their ways I guess. A K24 swap would be cool and I was actually thinking about tackling it myself. If you do it and make some custom parts let me know I'd happily buy them just for the opportunity in the future.

Array
    Status
    Washington
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Billy View Post
    With all disrespect these old timers seem to have a stick up their asses, stuck to their ways I guess. A K24 swap would be cool and I was actually thinking about tackling it myself. If you do it and make some custom parts let me know I'd happily buy them just for the opportunity in the future.
    Disrespect aimed at the people complaining of course, it's your rig, do what you want and make it bad ass. Good Luck

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    only one 'butt hurt' in the thread. Lemme guess.... that's from having a big stick in their ass?
    Title: K-swap capabilities
    Discussing pros & cons is complaining ? ...and you can disrespect "reasoning"
    Only in the eyes of a silly fanboy. Most can't handle the truth. Real talk

miata guys seeking drastic performance improvement in street cars, figured out eons ago that:
    For way less than half a K-swap budget, they hung a turbo on their stock motor
    In a sprint, will leave the K24, not car lengths behind... try bus lengths. Foolish 'old timers', huh

240 swap above discovered immediately, K didn't live up to the hype. Lets put some lipstick on the pig (throw money at it)
    Still sucked, so swipe that credit card for another chunk, turbocharging the noisy pos $$$$. Then bailed
    if you wanted to ripppp, could have simply boosted the nissan 4cyl, for a fraction of that expensive K-experiment. Duhhh

K-swap must be, "way cool & making it bad ass" then = fueled solely by 'emotion'

one day you may come to realize that a few folks, possess the gift of reasoning and have higher standards
    Apply rationale to input, resulting in a more 'sensible' outcome
    So "stuck to their ways" may not be such a bad thing.... depending on where you're at

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Will a naturally aspirated Corvette LS3 engine & 6 speed manual transmission fit into these trucks..? Kinda low HP tho only 430 stock but not bad on gas 16 MPG and exhaust sounds alright... Keep a watch at GSA Auctions, they often sell new cars & trucks that have been crash tested but drive train & ECU still like new...

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    "only 430hp" ? lol. 400+ ft-lbs makes all the difference. Any torquey motor/manual box mini truck will be a blast
    several LS swap Mmax online. Research the pitfals. Most late electrics integrated to cluster & cabin
    Aftermarket solutions usually costly. Ya, low buck donor vehicles usually the best source for powertrains
    if you can "tune" that V8, no reason a Mmax shouldn't hit 30mpg, with optimal gearing.... and still rip