Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

D50 Slueths Assemble!

I am new, I decided to be a rebel and do my intro and post my first question/request one post in this forum section.

My name is Eric, my background is mechanical engineering, and my hobbies include off-road racing, scuba diving, and chilling with my family. I have a wife and kids.

Growing up, my dad made next to nothing but he loved the outdoors. He purchased a first gen ram d-50 because that was all he could afford and he did everything with this little truck, taking my brothers and I along for the ride. We grew up in Wyoming and hunted pretty much everything with 4 legs (it was basically subsistence hunting) with the 2wd D50. Even though he eventually sold that truck about the time I left home, I have a lot of fun memories and a few crazy stories about that ram D50. About 7 years ago my dad passed away, it was far too soon as he was only in his early 60's. I miss him every day.

I don't have the time, the money, or the wife's permission yet, but the last few months I have been thinking of the D50 and I have gotten excited about finding one and restoring it. No mods because that was the last thing my old man would have spent money on. But just to have and drive around town on a night out with my wife. Or to teach my daughters how to drive a stick. Just to reminisce I suppose.

I asked my mom for any pictures, and this is all that she has been able to find so far. My guess is this is a 1980. But I really don't know if this is the actual year, what variations were available, how hard it is to find these pickups, how much they cost, how hard it is to work on them, etc.

Any help you might be able to provide would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Welcome back to the fold. That is for sure a 1st gen which would be between 1978 and 1986

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome (...back?) to mightyram. There are STILL barn find low mileage trucks being unearthed so never say never. Ex government examples sometimes come up for auction but generally it's the trucks you'll find either on craigslist or just being in the right place at the right time. The first gen trucks production ran from 79 to mid 86 when the Gen 2 trucks were introduced. If you don't find a clean, straight truck (a pre-loved beater) think of it as a blank canvas. There is a lot of cross compatibility with Gen 2 trucks and there are different trim and accessory options. The first generation 2WD truck is a lot of fun. More like a car to drive. Be aware that there aren't a lot of aftermarket parts around for them, but they were sold globally under different model names so there is always a chance something hard to find is sitting somewhere.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Hello! Thanks for your comments. Can we figure out what year its is from this picture?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you remember what model name and engine it was it'll narrow down the year build. D-50 was 79-81, Ram 50 was from 81-86. Plymouth Arrow shared the same year builds as the D-50 (far as I can tell)

I'll chuck this on here for anyone who is interested - https://www.allpar.com/threads/dodge...pickup.229490/
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by _rico_ View Post
    Hello! Thanks for your comments. Can we figure out what year its is from this picture?
    basically no, they were not like mopars with a different model each year
    grill did change, buy mainly by markets, early ones having quad round lights, a little later had quad rectangle lights, then 2 rectangle lights, but i have seen 3 trucks of the same year with different ones. There was also a couple different grills but again per market rather than year and again with the bumper.

You might have some luck narrowing down that colour

There was a change over on headlight controls for the ones we got here, early ones have a pull out headlight switch, which was then changed to a column switch style at about 1984. American ones might not have done that.

There were a few trim levels. Rubber floor mats/carpets. bench seat/bucket seat, slightly more internal trim, cab tray light. That one looks like it doesnt have chrome trim around the windscreen

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

sunburst orange is what i think that truck might be, you would have to check the original photo
    quick google looks like it was used up till 1983
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    This is very useful information. I spoke with my oldest brother who learned how to drive in our D50 and he remembered that it said "ram" on the side. He also remembered that it was a manual 4 speed transmission, with a tan interior with a bench seat.

Google images shows that 1983 has the two headlights per side (although maybe this varies as mentioned by tortron?). I looked at images for 1982 ram d50s and it seems like none are showing the chrome grille as seen in the photo in my original post, only black grilles.

So at this point I would assume it is a 1981. Does this logic check out?

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I can't quite make out the names of the colors in your photo. The truck was red on the exterior with a tan interior. I would say it looked closest to the red that is in the second row down and second column over on that card. Do you know what color that was called or the color code? Thanks!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    i think the forum scaled it down. try this link
    https://i.imgur.com/A4VPgYB.jpg

or search online for it

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Being it was a Ram 50 makes it an 1981 or 82. Silver painted bumper and silver grille makes it most likely a 81 custom, with a 2.0 l motor and a 4 speed manual transmission.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you for everyone's help. Lets compile what we've figured out so far:

1981 Ram D-50
    Custom Trim
    2.0 L 4 cylinder motor
    4 Speed Manual Transmission
    Impact Red Exterior
    Light Tan Interior

Now time for a story. My dad was a big guy (6'3" and 290 lbs) which made him and his D50 quite the contrast. It was September and my brother who is 5 years older than me was going pronghorn antelope hunting for the first time (he was probably 13 years old) and I was invited to come along. We left early and made the drive to the desert where our hunting area was. Riding middle seat in the D50 with my pops and older brother for an hour was not fun even if I was only 8, seriously it was like being crammed into a sardine can. Once we got out there we glassed a group of animals, put a successful stalk on a goat, and after a few hours we'd bagged one. As we field dressed it, Dad was instructing what to do, big brother did the knife work, and little brother did what all lowest-on-the-totem-pole hunters get to do--hold the leg.

Once that was finished, we slung the carcass into the bed of the D50 and washed up. It was time to head home, and the memory of the squeeze on the drive over was still fresh on my mind. It must have been bad because as we were loading up I asked Dad if I could ride in the back of the truck on the way home. I'm still not sure if he was as uncomfortable as I was on the drive over or if he was just curious to see if I would actually do it, but he said "Yes," undoubtedly with a smile. So they got in the cab and I climbed into the bed next to the dead antelope. As we drove down the dirt road heading for the highway, I was feeling tired so I just laid down next to that antelope and fell asleep. I don't remember when I woke up but I still laugh thinking about this. Do normal people allow their kid to ride for an hour in the bed of a truck next to a dead animal?
    Wouldn't a normal child have a problem with that? I guess we're not normal, lol. Can you imagine what they would have said at the gas station with a dead antelope and a still 8 year old, both laying in the bed of the truck? Hunting trip was successful- got a goat and a kid!

Now that I think we've identified the truck, here are the next two questions-
    1. How hard is it to find one that is not total junk, and
    2. How much does it (or should it) cost?

Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Minor pedantic note: "Ram D-50" is a bit of a mashup. The Dodge versions were only ever officially badged/sold as either D-50 ('79-80 only) or Ram 50 ('81-onward).
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Price is always subjective. We have stories of guys who lived in the same street as the owner as kids and then were offered a sweet deal for a tidy truck. Some land a truck from a government auction for a fair price. Others are trucks that got impounded and given away cheap due to it being a beater. Then there's the optimist that is trying to make a fortune out of what looks like a mint truck. Abandoned projects, deceased estates, trucks with a simple running fault that the PO couldn't fix or gave up on... I would consider a 'fair' price would be anywhere from $1500 - $3500 for a clean running truck with papers. Not running/no papers but mostly complete less than $1000. This is just speculative but seems to fit the usual purchase stories.

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    Minor pedantic note: "Ram D-50" is a bit of a mashup. The Dodge versions were only ever officially badged/sold as either D-50 ('79-80 only) or Ram 50 ('81-onward).
    I am a novice here so all notes, pedantic ones included, are welcome!

My pocket-protector background is big on accuracy so I appreciate the clarification. Thank you!

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Price is always subjective. We have stories of guys who lived in the same street as the owner as kids and then were offered a sweet deal for a tidy truck. Some land a truck from a government auction for a fair price. Others are trucks that got impounded and given away cheap due to it being a beater. Then there's the optimist that is trying to make a fortune out of what looks like a mint truck. Abandoned projects, deceased estates, trucks with a simple running fault that the PO couldn't fix or gave up on... I would consider a 'fair' price would be anywhere from $1500 - $3500 for a clean running truck with papers. Not running/no papers but mostly complete less than $1000. This is just speculative but seems to fit the usual purchase stories.

Thank you for your response. I was hopeful that ballpark prices could be expected to be in that range. Yes, I understand that there is no guarantee and every situation is different.

I have done some lazy "1981 Ram 50 for sale" searches on google and have, not surprisingly, found much. You listed a few great ideas on trying to locate a truck. Are there specific auctions or sites to keep my eye on?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Maybe facebook? There is always something going on and people post links to auctions for all kinds of things. If you really are set on getting an early year truck be prepared to travel. You may get lucky and one comes up locally. Other members will add suggestions in time. If you go for a truck up to 86, you'll have the option to buy one with a 5 speed as opposed to the 4 speed that came with the 79-81 and possibly A/C fitted as well.

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Well, its been about 2 years since I had the idea to pick up one of these trucks. I wasn't especially serious about it for a while but my older brother sent me a Facebook link last Friday and I ended up picking this up Saturday. 1979 D50 88k miles, $600. Its now holding down gravel on my side yard

It idles but apparently the carb is bound because it won't accept any throttle. Its got some rust (I wouldn't say terrible but I suppose I'm no expert) and the interior is in a bit of a mess.

My goal is a restoration back to stock. Not quite sure how deep I want to go with it so I'm trying to figure that out. I'm thinking that I will start making a list of everything that I can tell is wrong and prioritize the repair schedule. I think I need to get that carb sorted out so I can drive it and see what else needs to be added to the fix it list.

Any suggestions or tips on things to consider would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    DIY carb rebuild is possible ~ my member page has a carb rebuild photo album

RUST KUTTER is #1 on many YouTube videos

IDEA: drain the gas tank 'n use the gas in yard machines ~ fill tank with Non-Ethanol gas then if too expensive use Fuel Stabilizer & regular 87 octane gas

Safe bet is that every rubber part in the fuel system NEEDS replacement including all the carburator & fuel pump Diaphrams

Might try NGK double platinum spark plugs (NOT iridium)

If the cylinder head & gasket are good & good valve stem seals & if the compression tests sat THEN your little truck with it's low powered engine should last a good long long time

Have Fun & Good Luck
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    DIY carb rebuild is possible ~ my member page has a carb rebuild photo album

RUST KUTTER is #1 on many YouTube videos

IDEA: drain the gas tank 'n use the gas in yard machines ~ fill tank with Non-Ethanol gas then if too expensive use Fuel Stabilizer & regular 87 octane gas

Safe bet is that every rubber part in the fuel system NEEDS replacement including all the carburator & fuel pump Diaphrams

Might try NGK double platinum spark plugs (NOT iridium)

If the cylinder head & gasket are good & good valve stem seals & if the compression tests sat THEN your little truck with it's low powered engine should last a good long long time

Have Fun & Good Luck

Thanks for your response. I did look through your albums, great work by the way. That will be an excellent resource although I may need to bug you in the future with additional questions.

Here is a good newbie question...how do I determine what OEM hardware is on the truck? I have attempted to decode the VIN but that hasn't worked. Any help would be much appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    MFGs nameplate on the firewall gives engine type ~ driver door jams give tire/wheel info

Members with more knowledge & experience will hopefully chime in

Members that gave me help:

geezer101
    tortron
    FMS88

Many others as well...

Here is the sticky thread http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ghlight=owners for new members that explains the basic maintenance to perform to get these trucks running decent ~ replace fuel filter & air filter near the top of the list
    Last edited by xboxrox; 09-13-2023 at 08:09 PM.

Array
    Status
    UT
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Opened the hood yesterday at the behest of my 8yr old son.

So, we pulled off the carb.

I'm amazed with the level of buildup on the throttle blades, the prior no-response from the pedal makes a lot of sense after seeing this!

I was expecting to remove an electrical connector from the carb, however there were none? More vacuum lines than you can shake a stick at though.

I also was a little surprised to find this AC tag, as AC is not described on the dash. Ideas on why this is there?

The plan right now is to get it to run on the cheap to further identify all problems and determine best path forward. So I am going to clean and rebuild carb.

Questions:

1. My research so far is indicating that this is Mikuni Solex 30-32 DIDTA carb. Confirmation?
    2. Any recommendation on cheapest but most useful rebuild kit? I've seen some as low as $20, however I'm not confident it will get it done.
    3. I have perused the weber carb swap articles here. I'm not ready to invest in that yet, but is it worth it? Ballpark cost?
    4. I'm planning on Berryman chem dip to work on the carb, followed up with aerosol cleaner - unless there is a better suggestion?

Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Wow Eric hose city under that 79 hood..!

I went the ultrasonic cleaner route from Amazon and then used what I had on hand to clean the carb (Pine Sol dulled the metal ~ dish wash soap in the ultrasonic cleaner was better) Orange flavored mild non caustic paint remover worked pretty well to remove old gasket material & carbon (let it soak overnight & do the process twice or more)

A/C was installed on the USA pier or at dealerships is what I been told ~ maybe the A/C system in your truck was not entirely completed for the original owner OR MAYBE a previous owner removed some parts or maybe scavangers took stuff?

Wishing you the best ~ any gasket kit should be ok BUT if the store has some on hand ask the clerks to allow you to open the kit boxes to judge which brand you like best (kit don't haffta be for your carb ~ inspect the brand quality)

Have Fun & Hug the Kid
    George ;^)

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Eric

If Utah has no SMOG tests or inspections then a future Weber conversion has good potential in that hose rats nest... It would be very wise to remove and inspect a catalytic converter IF your truck has it & ensure the muffler exhaust system is clear 'n not causing too much Back Pressure.

George