Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Turbo manifold questions

Looking for a paired port Turbo manifold for my 2.0.
    Not having luck googling and not sure what I could source one out of. So my questions are...
    What cars should I be looking at when I'm at the wreckers?
    Is there as anyone manufacturing aftermarket ones?
    Can the internals take boost?
    Would this be a waste of time/money?
    Please, some guidance would be awesome.

Cheers from SWFL 酪

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    non-usa starion 2.0 is the mani u seek. US starion 2.6 turbos bolt onto the 2.0 manifold
    https://starionclub.com/forum/ is back online. Somebody can send you a stock 2.0 manifold. Header available too

starion 2.0 pistons have a bad rep for failing when boost modestly cranked up. Think ring lands poor design?
    Some run DSM pistons instead, but lowers compression significantly. Maybe DSM non turbo junkyard pistons ideal

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I knew I would get a solid answer from some one on here haha. It's greatly appreciated, I was getting pretty burnt out on reading through all the non related turbo threads.
    So non USA starions have paired port manifolds?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvertibleMaxx View Post
    I knew I would get a solid answer from some one on here haha. It's greatly appreciated, I was getting pretty burnt out on reading through all the non related turbo threads.
    So non USA starions have paired port manifolds?
    Yes. They share the same manifolds as the G62B/4G62 (1.8) turbo engines. The single ECI injection is horrible but you can use the multi point EFI manifold from the 4G64 NA engine and add a stand alone aftermarket ECU to run the show similar to what the Starion/Conquest/Starquest guys do to their engines (they adapt EFI intakes from Australian 4G54 EFI engines) Bonus is the 4G64 intake is readily available from Gen 2 trucks and doesn't require any welding mods to set it up for the application. I cannot find an aftermarket turbo manifold for the 4G6*/G6*B engines anywhere online. It would be great if there were aftermarket options for the SOHC paired port engines as the 1.8 Cordia turbo manifolds were notorious for cracking and the 2.0 Starion turbo was a popular car to tune...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    several different 2.0 turbo header sources found on austarion

TBI 'horrible' ? ....dunno if I'd say that.
    Many still performing to this day. Taken 2.0 street staz into 13s and 2.6 into the 12s

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    So if I managed to find a 1.8l cordia manifold, it would work? I Just risk it cracking at some point in its life?
    I'm not looking to push massive boost...yet.. just want some more pep in the step i guess.
    Thanks again everyone ����

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    starion 2.0 manifold is a stout piece. Never seen or heard of any cracking. Common for 2.6 oem mani tho
    mani top mounts a starion 2.6 turbo. Ez access to work on. Flow will fight you ~250hp iirc

good luck getting the cordia setup to work rwd

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Geezer mentioned the 1.8 cordias crack. I also had no idea that they were fwd...
    So I can only use the 2.0 starion mani then?
    Sorry for the rookie questions

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    AFAIK the Cordia manifold will mount without fouling. The Starion manifold is a direct fitment and will definitely mate up to the G63B twin port head. The NA G63B head has a plug next to #4 exhaust port that will act as the oil line feed for a turbo
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Would this even be worth my time? Or should I just put a dohc head on it with stand alone ECU? and probably better fuel pump as I'm running a Mr. gasket one.
    I'm very torn on what to do, just don't wanna throw money at it turbo'ing it and be disappointed with the results.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It comes down to what you want to achieve. If you got a cheap Eclipse and junked it yourself, it would save you a lot of cash but it isn't that straight forward. IMO you're not going to make significant gains by going twin cam compared to running a turbo on the SOHC - just more support for the DOHC. If you want to see what an all out SOHC turbo set up looks like check out LSRMikes' truck. The LSR stands for land speed record

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    the "disappointment" part.... that's all on you. Are you up to the task ? Turbo needs no explanation of it's potential
    After the exhaust side, what are plans for intake ?
    Shortcut may be to get a 2.4 truck drivetrain. Stock 2.4 have been boosted sucessfully in starions aboad
    Start with imported turbo manifold + bolt on usa starion turbo (can always sell it off later).
    Get a usa starion clubmember standalone to run the truck electronics.
    You'll be grinning at that point & need a clutch.... 240mm starion upgrade + flywheel time
    If you're serious(& addicted), go custom mani with a 500hp turbo.... then cam, etc..

http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=20608&country=au

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    truck above, from text(link under photo)
    dyno 280hp at 20psi boost in this light. tight and rock solid ute equals blistering acceleration and bewildered looks by those left behind
    .....or
    DSM guys been scavenging mitsu truck for the block/cranks, to build torquier 2.3/2.4 rwd setups
    So they threw/throw away lots of 2.4 cyl head / distributor / intake manifold. You may get lucky chasing that stuff
    Parts bolt on to your 2.0. Take a chance with stock pistons or go DSM ?non-turbo(used ok imo) + fresh rings. Should be cheap

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    TBI 'horrible' ? ....dunno if I'd say that.
    Many still performing to this day. Taken 2.0 street staz into 13s and 2.6 into the 12s
    This is aimed at the Cordia. The single ECI set up ran too lean which caused the whole cracking manifold thing. The engine management system however... freaking disaster. The design flaw caused plenty of Cordia turbos to go up in flames.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    cracking seems more like a mitsu metalurgy thing.
    Most of the truck 2.4 exhaust manifolds crack. Starion 2.6 manifolds far less, with turbo & TBI/ECI

what's "horrible" are those crappy truck 2.4 and DSM ecus - most either failed or have had capacitor work
    Never seen a bad starion ecu, as old as they are. I had a 2.0 free junkyard ecu all brown inside from sitting in rusty water
    Tried it long after, it purred like a kitten

Starnge how the Cordia, with the same basic system TBI plagued with such issues
    fwd Colts/Mirages didn't. Neither rwd Lancer EX turbos, starion 2.0 & 2.6 TBI still performing today
    Extremely common corolla swap in the usa, as bolt-ons TBI turn a 18sec snail into a 12 sec weapon
    Motor fits like a glove. Toyota should have built em like that
    this one goes mid 12s with only a 16g (& the wrong diff ratio. Wierd how all similar sized moderate turbos ~270-280hp
    https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/198...767168&slide=0
    and this remarkable cortina: http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/11/...turbo-cortina/

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Cortina article says he cut up/sacificed a turbo honda civic exhaust manifold, to bolt the T3 turbo to his 2.0sohc
    So there.... another option if one has/can source the skills