Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B

Air con alternative?

There are always questions about retrofitting A/C to our trucks. Biggest headache is finding a compressor and cradle and the accompanying belt tensioner and drive pulley. Admittedly, I live under a rock and anything new either goes unheard of or criticized (new is bad and/or evil lol). I then watched a youtube video of a guy who ran into the issue of having zero space to actually install a compressor on his engine (a Ferrari engine in an ALFA 105 - not insane at all...) so he decided to go for something I had no idea existed - an electric A/C compressor. First path was an aftermarket unit sold for such problems and then he noted that Hybrid Camry's and Prius' have electric compressors and can be sourced relatively cheaply. Some assing around to convert the Toyota hybrid compressor to run the correct voltage but it seems as though there are 12v units aftermarket. I'd imagine there would be a HUGE current draw requiring a bigger amperage alternator. But you could then have the flexibility to fit the compressor almost anywhere. Pros and cons...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    one of these in your centre console
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...r-conditioner/

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm not sure if you are serious or having a lend of a leg there... zero efficiency or effect anyone? You'd be better off with the vintage style window mounted swamp cooler/thermador cooler at that rate. Awful for visibility, risk of something swiping it like a truck mirror, not terribly efficient but low tech and kinda cool (in both respects) There are some really cheap under dash evaporator units available. A remote condenser and integrated fan, a couple of refrigerant lines and the addition of a 12v electric compressor could make it viable to add A/C on a tight-ish budget.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function