Array
    Status
    PG County MD
    Vehicle

1982 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Chevy V8

Plymouth arrow truck front springs help

I have 1982 Plymouth arrow truck. I need to change the front springs old 1's sagging plus need to lift front up about 2".
    And 1 ever change the front springs. If so what car or truck, make and model year. Or part numbers for new springs will fit.
    What would the easy way to pull these.
    Thanks newbie here.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    PG County MD
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Hi all I'm trying to find stronger front coil springs, Here's a pic of the truck. Any 1 no of another car / truck coil springs that will work with this truck. Sorry kinda hard typing I cut my hand on a table saw typing with 1 hand 3 months ago and on pain pills. I have chevy sbc motor in the truck.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Gen 2 truck springs will swap in. Looks like your whole front end is due to be rebuilt (the dust boots on the ball joints look messed up) If you get into a JY hunting for parts, compare the front stabiliser bar from a Gen 2 with yours. Gen 1 trucks had 2 different thickness stabilisers. If yours is the thin one it's worth swapping it (take the 'D' bushes and mounting hardware from the donor)

Spring removal isn't a difficult job. Remove the brake caliper and hang it up out of the way - this will reduce unsprung weight and add clearance to work with. Drop the shock absorber out. Disconnect the stabiliser link to the control arms so you don't have to fight them during the process. Keep the body/frame supported as is, place a jack and blocks of wood under the lower control arm and support it, undo the pivot pin and knock it out of the frame, then lower the control arm and remove the spring from it's perch. Install is a reversal of the process.

*I'd have new suspension hardware waiting to go in - control arm bushes, radius rod bushes, ball joints, stabiliser link ends, tie rod ends (maybe new shocks) etc. Now would be the time to replace everything while it's apart (just my opinion...)

**question - there's a gusset and some welding on the steering center drag link. What's going on there (OOC)?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    *Addendum. If you find a Gen 2 donor truck I would also consider taking the front brake and steering hub assemblies from it as well. A good, basic brake upgrade that is a nut and bolt swap
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    PG County MD
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Gen 2 truck springs will swap in. Looks like your whole front end is due to be rebuilt (the dust boots on the ball joints look messed up) If you get into a JY hunting for parts, compare the front stabiliser bar from a Gen 2 with yours. Gen 1 trucks had 2 different thickness stabilisers. If yours is the thin one it's worth swapping it (take the 'D' bushes and mounting hardware from the donor)

Spring removal isn't a difficult job. Remove the brake caliper and hang it up out of the way - this will reduce unsprung weight and add clearance to work with. Drop the shock absorber out. Disconnect the stabiliser link to the control arms so you don't have to fight them during the process. Keep the body/frame supported as is, place a jack and blocks of wood under the lower control arm and support it, undo the pivot pin and knock it out of the frame, then lower the control arm and remove the spring from it's perch. Install is a reversal of the process.

*I'd have new suspension hardware waiting to go in - control arm bushes, radius rod bushes, ball joints, stabiliser link ends, tie rod ends (maybe new shocks) etc. Now would be the time to replace everything while it's apart (just my opinion...)

**question - there's a gusset and some welding on the steering center drag link. What's going on there (OOC)?
    Thanks for the info, sorry a little late on responding. I like to have about 2 inches of ground clearance for the front. For speed bumps.
    . I will start pulling this part soon.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ok now I get the drag link mod. How did I not see the other pics of your truck?!?? This thing is magnificent. Considering the other mods your truck has had done to it, have you thought about upgrading to coil over IFS? Chev S10 and maybe Mustang II coil overs will work with mods to the spring/shock upper mounts on the frame. You can then add appropriate rated springs and damping with adjustable ride height. Urethane bushings will take any 'iffyness' out of steering feel. It'll do straight lines and turns lol.

P.s. your truck REALLY needs a brake upgrade. Bare minimum Gen 2 vented rotors and hubs. Check boozeheros' thread for truck-stopping inspiration on a budget - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post79579