Array
    Status
    Irmo, sc
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Ignition coil question

Is there any benefit to replacing the ignition coil on an '85 2.0L with a high-output unit? Most of the high-output coils have a higher resistance ohm rating than the factory manual specifies. Would there be any issues with other components of the ignition system (ballast resistor, distributor internals, etc.)?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Use a transformer type coil for later model trucks. They are compatible with the ICM's and won't roast them. They sell them with the ballast resistor as part of the assembly. The spark output is higher and more consistent than the oil filled coils. They give a cleaner fuel burn and strong spark at high rpm's. Aftermarket performance coils can damage ICM's and cause ignition faults.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Irmo, sc
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    According to my service manual the stock coil has a primary resistance 1.04-1.27 ohms and a secondary resistance 7.1-9.6 Kohms. The one I'm looking at is the ACCEL (ACC 8140) Performance Universal SuperStock Coil. It's rated at 42,000 volts, primary 1.4 ohms, secondary 9.2 Kohms. Do you think this one will cause me any issues. I can't find what the voltage rating is for the stock coil.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think there has been a number of members that have tried the Accel super coil and it's given them grief. The primary circuit resistance is too high. The factory transformer coil has an output of close to 50kV but it's more to do with dwell angles and plug gaps. Something like this -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38182524354...AAAOSwabRb0b4Z

The factory OEM coils are 'Diamond' brand so if you see one, you'll know it's a genuine part.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function