Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Rear Axle Upgrades?

So I have a few questions for the people who have "built" these trucks, I'm doing a gear swap on my power ram 50 and while I have the axle apart I wanted to see if I can upgrade the rear end, I'd like to put a locker in the rear end, like an auto or cable locker, really for an emergency, I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but I got four wheeling by myself and it might "save" me one day, and with that is it possible to upgrade the axle shafts as well, or should I just leave the diff open and not worry about it? Thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88dodge View Post
    So I have a few questions for the people who have "built" these trucks, I'm doing a gear swap on my power ram 50 and while I have the axle apart I wanted to see if I can upgrade the rear end, I'd like to put a locker in the rear end, like an auto or cable locker, really for an emergency, I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but I got four wheeling by myself and it might "save" me one day, and with that is it possible to upgrade the axle shafts as well, or should I just leave the diff open and not worry about it? Thanks in advance!
    member claych

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A company called "ARB" makes/made air lockers for Mitsubishis. Don't know if they are still available...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Why not a limited slip differential? Plenty of stock trucks have them and can quickly swap in.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Dad's 1st gen 4wd had manual lockers, I believe they are still listed in nz/aussie parts dealers

The e lockers, search l200 lockers, seem to be for 3rd gen trucks, I. E they don't fit the 7"diff

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    True, but does a lsd really make a difference for all the hassle they are besides don't the wear out in 30,000 miles?

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    Dad's 1st gen 4wd had manual lockers, I believe they are still listed in nz/aussie parts dealers

The e lockers, search l200 lockers, seem to be for 3rd gen trucks, I. E they don't fit the 7"diff
    Does the 3 gen trucks have the same rear axle as the 2nd gen?

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    https://toysfortrucks.com/arb-usa-rd...r-differential

I found this, really dont want an air locker but it looks like thats all anybody has, this would work right?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    LSD's should last at least 100,000 miles before failure - 60,000 if it is regularly used in offroad conditions (depending on how they are serviced, correct oil levels are maintained etc). 4x4 guys resurrect slipping friction plates by adding diesel fuel to the differentials and driving it for a few days to deglaze them before changing the diff oil. I think the Gen 3 is wider than the Gen 2 IIRC. Someone will chime in with the correct info...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey geezer101, the link I posted for the air locker, was that the locker you were talking about?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Happy with the LSD swap into mine, mainly because it would just spin tyres and snake down the road with an open diff

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 88dodge View Post
    Hey geezer101, the link I posted for the air locker, was that the locker you were talking about?

Think that is the one. It has a reference to the mighty max as a suitable application. Pricey...

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Think that is the one. It has a reference to the mighty max as a suitable application. Pricey...
    True, but it could save me one day, not to mention I wouldnt have to hit things as hard because with open diffs inertia is your friend. One time I was wheeling by myself in the mountains in my 91 Jeep Comanche and got stuck, didnt have a winch or a locker so I had to dig myself out spent little over an hour and it was cold, so I wish to avoid that again. Thanks for the help geezer101

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Wow just for the low low price of 1800 dollars 🤣

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The factory LSD is the same as the LM083 'Powerbrute' unit. It's a tough gadget - Mitsubishi 4x4's can pull off some surprising offroad antics and are plenty capable. Unsure of why you need an e-locker or air locker unless you want your truck to compete or just train it to be a mountain goat lol.

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    The factory LSD is the same as the LM083 'Powerbrute' unit. It's a tough gadget - Mitsubishi 4x4's can pull off some surprising offroad antics and are plenty capable. Unsure of why you need an e-locker or air locker unless you want your truck to compete or just train it to be a mountain goat lol.
    I guess if I can do it cheaper, and not risk breaking an axle, Ill buy front and rear lsd, like I said I wheel alone sometimes and need all the help I can have, can I buy a front lsd too?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Yeah front one are available. Probably better to get the front one first as all the weight is on that axle

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah front one are available. Probably better to get the front one first as all the weight is on that axle
    I haven't found one for my front end but one for a starion,would that work?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    something about - swaping the gears over to your carrier. More info on the forum elsewhere

actually i originally read your post as wanting front lockers, which are available also

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I did find this, they are few left, which diff does this fit front or rear?

https://www.saltinqk.com/index.php?m...ucts_id=176749