Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

KM145 Variations?

Hi- I don't know whether this has been covered before, but I haven't seen it. I have a 1984 Ram 50 with the 4D55, and parts to build more engines and transmissions. Currently I am rebuilding a KM145 transmission that came attached to a 4d55. Pretty sure it is original to the engine, as it is configured for the hydraulic clutch. Previously I had disassembled two other trannies from 4D55's, and te one I am rebuilding has a significant difference: The cluster gear is retained by tapered roller bearings on both ends, vice straight cylindrical "pocket" bearings on the other two. I am using a 1985 factory Chrysler Ram 50 service manual as a guide,and the straight/cylindrical bearings are shown and described therein. That is also what was provided in my rebuid kit.
    Can anyone offer any pointers as to how to assemble the countershaft in the case, i.e., set the end play, with the tapered bearings?
    Thanks- Kevin

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Yes. It's like that one. I especially like the part where he pounds that big honkin' screwdriver between the (soft) aluminum case and the reverse idler shaft flange and pries it out, instead of driving it out from inside. That tranny has the same bearing setup as mine, but I don't think I'm going to try to absorb much of that guy's methodology.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Awww c'mon, you can trust some random dude on youtube
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Awww c'mon, you can trust some random dude on youtube
    I would probably trust ANYONE who could tell me how to set up that countershaft.....even if it DID involve screwdrivers and a claw hammer.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It would 'work', but you have the common sense to go - "wait a minute... " Unfortunately a lot of people don't and would get into a repairable 5 speed 'box with a 4 pounder and a chisel. Finding a 5 speed locally is a difficult prospect. Finding one for a 4x4 is just as bad and harder to pull from a wreck.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    After watching the entire video, that which I seek was revealed: There is a selective washer-style shim/spacer that goes in the bore for the front bearing race. I don't have it.
    Anybody know where to order this kind of parts for these trannies, or just bearing spacers by size?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are overhaul kits available for KM132 and KM145 transmissions with synchro rings/bearings etc but I'm not 100% sure what else is included. There are thrust plates in the transmissions that can wear out (they need to be heat treated and/or nitrided) As you have uncovered, there are different types of KM145's. The diesel is the one with a hydraulic clutch fork, so my bet this is how to differentiate what kit you'll need. I'm not a diesel guy so this is just a hunch...