Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Gear Swap, just so Im clear

I have a 1988 Dodge Ram 50 4x4 with the 2.6L I4, man 5 speed, and 4.22 gears, I found a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero with the v6 and the auto trans it has 4.62 gears, just so I'm clear I can grab the axles and swaps the gears to my Ram 50? I've read just about everything on axle/ gear swaps on this forum and it looks like I'm set, but if not I would appreciate a heads up, thanks in advance!

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Might not be as straightforward as you think. The rear axle on the Montero is coil sprung vs leaf with trailing arms. You are also upgrading to 9” rear axle which is heavier and about 3” wider. Rear driveline yoke is different as well as you will need a new spedo gear. Front axle will be difficult as you have to disassemble the IFS to get to it.

Honestly 4.22 gears are great unless you are looking to run a very tall tire or go rock crawling. Really not worth all the work you will have to do for a .4 gear increase. If you had a V6 truck it would cut your work in half as you would pressure have the same rear axle as the Montero.

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Even though its a 1st gen Montero, i was under the impression it was the same axles, i am really just interested in the gears, would they work?

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I actually found a 88 raider 4cyl that has 4.62s so i should be good

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Yes, a 4cyl Montero would be a better swap as it is leaf. Its the smaller differential just like yours too, so you could just pull the center pumpkin.

Array
    Status
    Laurel, MT
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I appreciate the help, its hard doing stuff to a truck when the forums on them are vague at best, the gears off a Mitsubishi parts website wanted 500 for each gear set, I got both axles pulled for me at 400 for the set, I didn't know what all to grab out of the axles for the swap so just getting the axle housings with the rest of the gear set didn't seem like that big of deal. Again thanks for the help.