Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Cylinder Liners

Doing a mild overhaul/ring job on a 4D56. Did a ball hone of all cylinders and was happy with all except #4. I inverted the block and saw, to my shock and horror, that all bores are SLEEVED! It also turns out that none of my old trusted machine shops want anything to do with "little" diesels anymore. Looks like I'm on my own. RR'ing the liners doesn't look too daunting, but if I have to tool up for this, I might as well do them all. Does anybody know where to obtain a suitable puller and the appropriate liners? Are the Chinese ones on Ebay any good? Rather have the Japanese ones but they are some buku $ with shipping and tax.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Liners is horror ?
    Maybe a marine boat repair shop deals with small diesel engines & I think Hyundai diesel engines are the same & fit ??? NO ???

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Don't be horrified. These motors are dry sleeved from the factory. I believe when I rebuilt my 4D55 a few years ago we got some from Federal Mogul. That part number should be the same between the two motors, but I am not 100% sure

Array
    Status
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I had no idea these engines were factory-sleeved. So people usually just replace the liners rather than boring them oversize? The "horror" was when I thought I'd gotten a "low mile" engine with hundreds of thousands on it. The crank and bearings are great.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    You can bore them oversize, I think you can get pistons .020' and .040" over, maybe also .060" over, but I think the sleeves are getting pretty thin at that point. I think you could even order them off of Rock Auto, but I have not checked in a while. depending on how helpful your local machine shops are it may be easier to go that route, or to just re-sleeve it, though from what you said they may not be all that useful

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Federal Mogul has a kit with liners, rings, and bearings for a full rebuilt, or the liners and rings. Finding the kit is the tough part - have to go out of the US to find the kit.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980