Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, AR
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

New here. 91 mighty max 4x4

Done research off this forum for years. I've had this little trick for about 10 years. Recently started reviving it. Will sgart threads about my headaches and look forward to the advice I receive from others with experience. If you're curious about what I've done so far, my tiktok name is the same as my name here

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Nice truck. The V6's are hard to come. Post some pics!

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Well put in a radiator from a Montero in it today. The factory radiator for this version is impossible to come across. Ordered some tires. She's almost road ready.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLPOOLHALL View Post
    Well put in a radiator from a Montero in it today. The factory radiator for this version is impossible to come across. Ordered some tires. She's almost road ready.
    HELLO HELLPOOLHALL Might you have more details..? Wrecking yard Montero or what year new..? Radiator dimentions HxWxD..? Thanks

Array
    Status
    Jonesboro, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I bought it from oreilly. It was for a 95 montero. Its a few inches taller than the mighty max radiator. The upper bolts line up perfectly. The lower bolts you have drill holes in the radiator mount. No biggie. The end result is a larger radiator with increased system capacity. Cant wait for summer and put a good load behind it on a trailer and test the reliability with the upgraded cooling system. It does have ports for either q trans or motor oil cooler built into it. Might consider putting that to use in one way or another. Lol.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Don't use it as an engine oil cooler. If you really want to have an engine oil cooler it has to have a bypass circuit/thermostat with a separate oil cooler core up front (bypass when it's dead cold or it'll never get up to temp) I don't think the radiator will tolerate having hot oil under pressure put through it and the heat soak will override the cooling system. Also not sure how restrictive the flow through the auxiliary radiator inlet is. It would be bad if it choked off oil flow...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the source info HPH ~ O'Reilly's 95 Montero ~ question for (?) geezer ~ are the Gen 1 and Gen 2 radiators basically samo samo ?
    My truck is now roughly 90% Mitsubishi and 10% Chinabishi coz of repair parts all being Made in China

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Thanks for the source info HPH ~ O'Reilly's 95 Montero ~ question for (?) geezer ~ are the Gen 1 and Gen 2 radiators basically samo samo ?
    My truck is now roughly 90% Mitsubishi and 10% Chinabishi coz of repair parts all being Made in China

As HELLPOOLHALL has pointed out, Gen 2 radiators are taller. V6 outlet on the bottom tank is on the opposite side of the 4 cylinder versions and depending on the unit it can have either an upward angle outlet or one facing 90 degrees straight out from the bottom tank. I also tried one from a later model van but it was a LOT taller and the mounts are completely incompatible. If anyone remembers from my thread, I used the core from an early Express van and had it modified as getting a decent radiator for a Gen 1 was a no bueno situation from a JY...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It appears that the radiator for Montero up to 97 and Mighty Max have the same dimension radiators (578mm x 422mm x 42mm) going by a quick search. If you can source them, get the copper core w/brass end tank units. Unlikely to have a top tank or seal failure like a plastic tank substitute. There are all alloy aftermarket ones and you can find them pretty cheap (found one on AliExpress for $150 AUD which is freaking cheap)

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Wow nice find geezer ~ bookmarked it ~ thank you for all this data ~ griffen has alum rads for Starion which might also fit BUT $750.00 + $200.00 shipping

UPDATE: geezer, that AliExpress radiator has no overflow tube shown in the photos ~ how to connect the coolant overflow tube to the coolant fender tank..?

Thanks if you read & respond
    Last edited by xboxrox; 12-08-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    It appears that the radiator for Montero up to 97 and Mighty Max have the same dimension radiators (578mm x 422mm x 42mm) going by a quick search. If you can source them, get the copper core w/brass end tank units. Unlikely to have a top tank or seal failure like a plastic tank substitute. There are all alloy aftermarket ones and you can find them pretty cheap (found one on AliExpress for $150 AUD which is freaking cheap)
    did more digging on that all aluminum Montero radiator from AliExpress, I asked questions & they gave answers below:

Q: Does it come with an overflow tube connection near the radiator fill cap..? My coolant overflow tank is on the inner right fender... Shipping price to USA Hawaii Zip Code 96734..? Thank You

A: my friend, the radiator is as the picture on the platform. so if it is fit for you, you can go ahead to purchase. we will ship it soon

geezer that radiator from AliExpress is a fantastic price ~ can't tell if it's made in China or Korea but for sure not made in USA ~ downside is no overflow tube connection, it helps China and most likely has a 50/50 chance of arriving without any damage, good luck getting it replaced by AliExpress, thats another deep subject...

Happy Holidays
    George
    Last edited by SubGothius; 12-10-2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Formatting

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    No overflow 'might' be an issue. If your cooling system has a weak spot in it somewhere, you'll find out the minute the engine gets put through a bit of stress. I've bought 2 radiators online from ebay and both were GARBAGE. Alloy cores with plastic tanks. Mounting holes didn't line up, overflow port in the filler was almost sealed up, tank seals leaked, cores were different sizes... everything that shouldn't happen on a '100% pressure tested and checked' product. There are filler adapters that go in the top radiator hose - some have an overflow barb on them but this is a kinda ghetto way to fix the issue. There are also weld on overflow and cap assemblies for custom style radiators. You'd have to know someone who could weld one on and that is a pain too.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    xbox - If you're considering an all-aluminum radiator, look at the Liland 188AA:
    https://www.carparts.com/search?q=Liland_188aa&itemperpage=15&vehicle[year]=1988&vehicle[make]=Dodge&vehicle[model]=Ram_50&vehicle[submodel]=Custom&vehicle[cylinders]=4&vehicle[liter]=2%2E6

I've had one for four years with no issues. Except for needing a longer overflow hose and a new, smaller cap, it was a perfect swap. I think it will fit your '86 because I had an 86 rad in my '88 until I hit a deer, and the '86 rad fit without modifications. Measure the distance between the mounting bolts. If the centers are ~25-1/4" apart, the 188AA will fit.

Another radiator with near identical core dimensions to the Liland is this:
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion+Cool...SABEgIPnPD_BwE

It's a touch narrower so you may need to modify the mounting brackets and change hoses to accommodate the horizontal and larger inlet and outlet diameters, but it looks like a promising option.

Other possibilities are radiators for a 1966 Chevelle;
    https://speedcooling.com/product/196...inum-radiator/

and 1972-86 Jeep CJ with a V8 Chevy conversion; for example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30363465620...evt=1&mkcid=28

Both have cores one or so inches larger, horizontal outlets and larger hose diameters, so installation will require some effort.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    With the Liland radiator, I wonder if you could just take out the drain tap and thread a thermo sender into it for an electric thermofan set up?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    With the Liland radiator, I wonder if you could just take out the drain tap and thread a thermo sender into it for an electric thermofan set up?
    I don't see why not, but being so removed from the inlet and outlet, I'd think it would delay slightly the fan turn on and off. The in-hose sensor/switch location seems best and the cost for that arrangement is nominal ($10-15US). For example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22457919881...YAAOSwzophH0If
    Last edited by FMS88; 12-12-2021 at 06:16 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The reason why manufacturers put the thermofan sender in the bottom tank of the radiator is to prevent over cooling (this ensures that coolant that has passed through the radiator is at engine operating temps). Plus, if you are unfortunate enough to experience a cooling system failure that results in a hose dumping coolant the sender stays submerged in whatever coolant is remaining in the radiator (this is a failsafe measure that gives you enough opportunity to pull over and save your engine before the big BBQ) I've even added manual override switches to thermofan installs just in case

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    My apologies HELLPOOLHALL your thread to help 1991 truck owners got thread jacked by me MY BAD ding ding

well heck https://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/r...s-19456-1.html

Edit: What is an SOC core..?

FMS88 ~ thank you for sharing all your radiator research links and experience ~ minimum order 10 each at China: https://m.alibaba.com/product/625304...iator.html?s=p
    Last edited by xboxrox; 02-27-2022 at 01:44 PM.

Array
    Status
    Savannah Ga
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I needed a new radiator for my 1988 automatic 2.0 and upon searching I came across your reply about NPD Cool for the radiator. I called them up and they had some in stock. He said the units they have are refurbished units from car crashes. He wasn’t sure what SOC meant for the core either. Anyways I ordered one and it came in a few days later in almost brand new condition. I believe they sent me an earlier model radiator since the cap was larger and the transmission coolers were smaller than my 1988 radiator hoses but other than that everything fit fine. I just got better transmission cooler line hose clamps and tightened them so I couldn’t pull the hoses off. I hope this helps someone!

Array
    Status
    North Dakota
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by nskull2010 View Post
    I needed a new radiator for my 1988 automatic 2.0 and upon searching I came across your reply about NPD Cool for the radiator. I called them up and they had some in stock. He said the units they have are refurbished units from car crashes. He wasn’t sure what SOC meant for the core either. Anyways I ordered one and it came in a few days later in almost brand new condition. I believe they sent me an earlier model radiator since the cap was larger and the transmission coolers were smaller than my 1988 radiator hoses but other than that everything fit fine. I just got better transmission cooler line hose clamps and tightened them so I couldn’t pull the hoses off. I hope this helps someone!
    What materials was this made of?

Array
    Status
    Savannah Ga
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    What materials was this made of?
    I believe it’s brass like the original, in fact I bet it is an original it looks like it’s been refurbished and repainted.