Thread: Stuck with... timing marks? I guess...

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Exclamation Stuck with... timing marks? I guess...

Hey everyone, been stuck on this for a few days now.

Water pump went out, no biggie right? Well I got my new pump took it all apart #1 TDC cam mark lined up. But...I don't recall lining up crank or oil pump marks before disassembly. (I know rookie move) so I turned the crank 4 rotations lined the notch up, lined the oil pump notch up, slapped the belt on. All looked good, hand cranked it a bunch of times feels butter smooth. Decide to put it all back together and run it.....well it now has the absolute worst valve tick I've heard in my life. Took it all down again, downloaded a service manual, did it text book...still has that crazy loud valve tick.
    Am I missing some prehistoric mitsu magic?
    Or did I just screw up crucial with the timing?
    So lost guys...my max is my daily so someone please help

Thanks in advance.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The G63B is a non interference engine so you "should'nt" have mashed a valve (not saying it's impossible...) Are the valves manual lash adjusters or hydraulic? Check to see what rocker movement you have when the valves are off lift. If you have a lot of play somewhere, investigate what the deal is. You may have a dead hydraulic lash adjuster (if it's relevant to your engine) or a poorly adjusted manual one - or a bent valve (you'll normally hear popping if a valve is stuck open) If you don't know what the service life of this engine has been examine the rockers and rocker shafts for heavy wear as this will badly mess with play/adjustment. There is a trick adjusting the manual lifters too (the book isn't it either)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Geezer, thanks for responding.
    My rockers are the hydraulic lash type. I put a wire down in the little hole on top of the rocker and was able to wiggle the rocker a bit with valve closed. I do have a manual adjust right next to my intake rocker? Manual doesn't cover what exactly that is so I left it alone.
    The engine was rebuild by Jaspers then sat in a garage for 10 years so it's pretty fresh internally.
    I had issues with ign timing before this, actually followed your procedure from another thread. Had it running best it's ever ran too
    What direction do #1 cam lobes need to face? I have them facing down on tdc compression stroke.
    Again thank you for responding

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It appears you have a 'jet valve' head. It's a smaller assisting intake valve that is supposed to improve combustion and emissions. These things are a PAIN. It was running ok before you did the water pump - how long was it off the road? Only think I can recommend to silence noisy hydraulics is an engine flush. Technique I use will go a long way to silencing all but the worst hydraulic rackets. Is it really cold at the moment where you are? Might need a lighter oil...

A link to my oil flush method - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49688 (one of our members amended it as it may have sounded like you should re-use the flush oil after the procedure )

*and DON'T mix mineral oil with synthetic. They don't play nicely together and can turn into a coagulated disaster.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I'll give your engine douching a go after work today.
    I'm down in SWFL, it's hot here ALL the time. Haha
    I run 10-40 high mileage Castrol.
    Should the cam lobes face up (10-2) on #1 compression?

Array
    Status
    Cape Coral Florida
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Hey Geezer I appreciate your Mitsubishi wisdom. I got the truck ironed out an she's back on the road.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Glad we could help. Nice to get a win once in a while!