Status
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G67

1989 2.0L Engine Noise

Aloha from Hawaii,

I've had my 1989 2.0L for 3 months now and its been a dream, but now its making a terrible knocking noise, I can't figure out where its coming from.

So far I have:
    • Took alternator and water pump / Fan Clutch out of the picture (Replaced Waterpump anyways)
    • Dropped Oil pan - Pan is clean.
    • Connecting Rod bearings sound ok
    • Everything on the rod side has been re-torqued to spec
    • Replaced both Belts and tensioners.
    • Started from scratch and retimed all marks at TDC #1 - Rotor points at #1 and firing order (1-3-4-2) is correct.

No dice, still has noise.

Its just loud enough where I can't tell exactly where it is.

Here is what I am hearing:

https://youtu.be/TilMduKZNnE

Any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello SVbabido ~ sounds like a Tesla
    Maybe some of the noise is tappets in the valve train (?) I used Rislone engine treatment to cure tappet noise on my truck & I am using 10W--40 oil ~ good luck
    George

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    grab a big screw driver and press it against the engine, hoding the handle end to your ear, this will help you pinpoint it

kinda hard to tell over a video, but it seems to get louder when you put the camera closest to the cylinder head/rocker cover.

so if you havent already you should check the valve clearances. How did you check the rod bearings?

Array
    Status
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    grab a big screw driver and press it against the engine, hoding the handle end to your ear, this will help you pinpoint it

kinda hard to tell over a video, but it seems to get louder when you put the camera closest to the cylinder head/rocker cover.

so if you havent already you should check the valve clearances. How did you check the rod bearings?
    I dropped pan and checked each one on my back on a gravel driveway, wasnt fun. Not an ideal way to do things, but I no longer have a shop or garage to do things correctly at the moment.

I will check valves next, thanks a ton.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    You can also hold a length of hose to your ear and pass the other end around the engine until you hear where the ticking is loudest.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Hello SVbabido ~ sounds like a Tesla
    Maybe some of the noise is tappets in the valve train (?) I used Rislone engine treatment to cure tappet noise on my truck & I am using 10W--40 oil ~ good luck
    George
    Awesome idea and thanks! Will grab some tomorrow morning.

Mahalo!

Array
    Status
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    You can also hold a length of hose to your ear and pass the other end around the engine until you hear where the ticking is loudest.
    Will do at first light, I used to have a stethoscope, but that trick sounds great!
    Thanks!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    oh yeah so just checking the torque on the bolts rather than clearances?
    i guess if there was no glitter in the pan when you took it off then its probably not a bearing going.
    The valve clearances would me my bet, might have a nut backed itself off

Array
    Status
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle

Engine

4G67
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

Narrowed the noise down to lifters using the hose trick and then used Rislone for about 30 minutes and no more tapping! Changed it out with 10w-40 and it sounds smoother than when I got her.

I did notice when I had a screwdriver on top of piston 1 that I could feel the carbon buildup, does anyone recommend doing a fuel treatment or am I asking for trouble cleaning everything out?

Mahalo and much appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by SVbabido View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

Narrowed the noise down to lifters using the hose trick and then used Rislone for about 30 minutes and no more tapping! Changed it out with 10w-40 and it sounds smoother than when I got her.

I did notice when I had a screwdriver on top of piston 1 that I could feel the carbon buildup, does anyone recommend doing a fuel treatment or am I asking for trouble cleaning everything out?

Mahalo and much appreciated.
    CARBON FIX buy a bottle of CATACLEAN @ O'Reilly's (not cheap $26.00 but it works if you follow the directions) Not only does it clean the engine but the cat & exhaust system too ~ after two uses my truck runs better :^)

GOOD JOB fixing the ticking noise

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A spray bottle full of water will do the trick on decarbing the combustion chambers. Air filter off, engine running at full operating temperature and spray a few pumps into the throat of the carb with the throttle open (more than 2000 rpm). Some guys say dump water straight from a cup but having water pool in your intake manifold is a bad idea. Keep pumping until you hear the engine sound change - there should be a bit of crackling and rough running to start off with, but as the carbon swells and burns off it will become more tame. Now that you have close to full valve lift it will run better and the carbon won't build up as heavily.

*if you are still running the factory ignition coil or it obviously hasn't been touched in over 10 years, think about replacing it. Tired coils affect economy and power.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    89 usa 2.0 sohc has hydraulic lifters ?
    'feel' carbon buildup on top of piston, with screwdriver ?? ....sounds wierd

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    might be burnt oil if its not rock hard

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A puff of exhaust smoke on acceleration from a stationary start might indicate worn valve stem seals. #1 cause of exhaust smoke and oil burning/consumption in these engines. Gen 2 trucks 'should' have hydraulic heads, but you never know what a PO has done to get an engine running. If it's apparent the valve stem seals are shot, it's a good a time as any to scrape the crap off the pistons and send the head off for a hot tank and reconditioning...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    lexington, ky.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Check the balance shaft inside the engine. I had similar issue which started out small noise but got to be a bangin noise. Discovered it was from the balance shaft. The bearing came out and wore the hole out. I removed it and replaced with replacement kit. Runs ok with a little vibration.