Thread: Ditched the Honda project for this new Beaut!

Array
    Status
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Ditched the Honda project for this new Beaut!

Hello, I'm really excited about this ram D50 truck I just bought. Really cool looking truck. To be honest I've never seen one before. I am a proud new owner of a 1985 D50 Power Ram 4×4, and am looking for any advise are tips. Currently researching options for the Carburetor, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    As far as a carb replacement goes -
    The Weber conversion is usually the least expensive and gives the best results.
    You can buy the conversion kit on eBay for a wide range in price - From $225 to almost $400.
    A rebuilt stock Mikuni costs about $200 or so. You can find the Mikuni cheaper (seen them for under $100), but they never match the performance gain of a Weber.

The lower price conversion kits usually have Chinese copies of the Weber, EMPI has a kit that is about $300, I have bought a few.
    My 79 D50 has a Chinese knock off on it and works great.
    I did buy a 38/38 that wouldn't idle properly (Chinese) I found that one of the idle mix screws was too short causing a rich idle condition. I bought a Weber idle mix crew for $13 which solved the problem.
    I know that there are many people that say do not buy a Chinese carb, but I have generally had few issues - except for the one time.

The Weber conversion kit is the same for a wide range of different vehicles. It's about an hour job, the only issue is mounting the throttle cable on a Mitsubishi. I have converted 3 different D50/Mighty Maxes and made a simple bracket that bolts to the existing threaded holes in the valve cover. I used a length of "L" shaped aluminum and drilled holes in the correct locations. The bracket that comes with the kit interferes with the valve cover.
    If you can change a carb you can figure out the bracket.

The gain in performance is immediately noticeable.
    Good luck, and post pix!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. If you aren't subject to smog checks then the Weber swap is the way to go. Boozehero used a clone of the 38 DGES and got lucky. The standard go-to Weber carb is the 32/36 DFEV and this is the carb that causes the most issues with Chinese knock offs. Avoid using a 'licensed copy' as it'll cost you way more than you'll save from buying a genuine Weber. It requires an adapter kit which is just a base plate to mount it to the Mitsubishi manifold, but you'll need an electric fuel pump to run the Weber (lots of info on site to do the swap)
    Post pics and ask questions!
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello & welcome JackDailey ~ I think your truck is lucky to have you as it's owner Having fun fixing & improving :^)

Almost 15,000 views on my thread "Mikuni Carburetor" have a look: http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...uni-carburetor

Shamrock Wrecking yard in Ridgecrest, CA might still have three 1985 & 1986 California emission feedback type (O2 sensor) Mikuni carbs, they did a year or two ago ~ keep in touch with PickNPull inventory & nab a used carburetor from them ~ having a second carburetor to play with is the way I did things but no need if you are mechanically inclined ~ ebay is your friend on buying the harder to find rubber software parts diaphragms & the like... I THINK the 1987 & later carburetor floats are all the same as the ones in the 1985 & 1986 Mikuni carbs ~ OEM are plastic and fit better than aftermarket floats FYI...

I post a bunch in "What Did You do to Your Truck Today" in the FORUM "General Discussion" section ~ have a look at the last page to see your air cleaner case has more than one filter, it has three..! Did you know..?