Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    LEDs are cool.

Too bad these trucks don't have enough bag to spin a tire for any distance.
    Traction bars are good to keep wheel hop under control - if you have enough power.
    Even with the power increase mods to my truck, I don't think it would have enough juice to do much damage to the right rear tire...

BTW, I will be advertising a bunch of parts soon. I have a tach dash that is the correct replacement to upgrade your truck to the factory tachometer.
    I've never been a fan of "hang on" tachs.
    I went to al lot of trouble to locate the correct factory tach cluster for my truck. It's different than yours. Probably paid too much also. But, it works and looks great. I also added LEDs.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A pair of tramp bars, a bunch of gauges and an LED upgrade - NICE Might be time to think about a headlight upgrade too. Driving by candle light sucks... and have a crack at dynamically tuning the ignition. There are a few hidden ponies and some added torque in there. If the ignition coil is either original or at least older than 10 years it's time it was retired (if it's been a daily driven vehicle and not laid up forever...) Good spark = good performance.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I might jump on it lol my work has slowed down a bit tho already have wheels n tires lined up to buy as well as plans to redo the whole ignition setup I have a Weber 38/38 I'm trying to get along with a Header as of right now the truck is somewhat peppy its not a super fast truck and I don't plan on making it one any time soon.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    The coil is from another D50 it is well over 10 years old spark compared to my 1990 corolla it is pretty weak the head lights are going for sure along with all the old wiring the previous owner had something wired into them and alot of the wires are messed up hit a good bump the lights become strobe lights till I shut them off and cut them back on but she is a project and I am happy with it also got the driveshaft done if it does not rain tomorrow I'll throw it in and the track bars and see how it goes. Also if anyone is running a rear swaybar how does it improve the handling seen one pop up online and I might add one to my list.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Well I was helping a friend today and he had a box of fosgate speakers from his old bass wagon ( 6x15's) he said he wanted to swap the speakers for some more powerful ones so I walked away with 4 fosgate prime 6x9's got no idea what I'll do with the other 2 but wondering if anyone has put 6x9's in there doors? I belive I have 5.25 or 6.5's in my door currently.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Side note been driving around for a good bit now with the slap bars on had to do some minor adjustments but they fit good and work decent did launch the truck a bit hard way harder then I ever had and it felt very planted to the ground.

https://i.gyazo.com/4a3c9c3e1b4e04dd...9e9d3f988a.jpg before I had adjusted it right after I had installed them fit decent.

https://i.gyazo.com/b26df54ea08ff4b9...a8b36b2121.jpg
    In the photo looks like it is on the stop but it's not just the angle of the photo.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    My truck had 6x9's in the doors when I bought it. I was not happy. Not because the speakers sucked (which they did...) but the kid who owned it butchered 2 good door cards and had to cut through the chassis of the doors in a bad spot to make them fit. The L200 doors have quarter windows in them so at least the glass wouldn't be fouled by the crappy speakers when it was wound down which is something I have a feeling you may have to contend with. Rockford Fosgate speakers were good back in the day. I had Punch 5.25"s and X-overs up front on my first good audio install. Hey you got them for free and it is your truck, but be aware you may need to cut into the reinforcement inside the door and/or support for the window mechanism.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    The door cards I have are sadly not original but a reskin and the panels them self have alot of water damage and are falling apart I'll have to pull the speaker and see where my reinforcements are not a fan of butchering any type of reinforcement even if it's not something majorly structural I might try to see if I can center the speaker right on top of my pre existing one and see if I can just trim out the metal around it and avoid any braces. By chance do you have any photos of your doors with 6x9's?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Ok, tried to upload and got 2 failed messages so no idea what is up with that. The 6x9's were vertically mounted just forward of the window winder handle. They were a no brand co-axial speaker - one of the co-axial supports fell to pieces, leaving the centre tweeter to dangle from the wires hanging off the main cone.
    Perfect choice to cut up a good Royal optioned door trim

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I use gyazo for posting images makes it easier and a great alternative to photo bucket. I know my trucks package is just the custom base model nothen fancy but I will see if it is possible on my door with out hacking if it is ill share some photos lol.

Array
    Status
    Carson City, Nevada
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G52
    I have a '79 that is all original - no hacked door cards or door chassis.
    I had both sides off to see what I could do to install speakers for the factory stereo I managed to find.
    The factory speakers are proprietary and are Mitsubishi design. I couldn't find anything that came close to fitting in the factory configuration.
    I saw a picture of them in a factory repair manual, they are weird. Period.
    I looked everywhere - Crutchfield, eBay, on line, Mitsubishi electric - nothing. All of the trucks in upull yards had major HACK jobs for speaker mounting replacements.
    I finally went with Yamaha box speakers on the floor in front of the bench seat. They are narrow and long with ported openings... and... sound amazing.
    Not what I want, but until i find something that fits correctly, they will do for a temporary sound system.
    I even found the correct factory speaker wiring that goes from the cab to the doors.
    I also made 2 new plastic diaphragm (vapor barriers) for the door cards since they are almost perfect.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book, just some stuff I found out (adventure?) to find the correct parts for this truck

Array
    Status
    California
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I love the new car!! random question though, how the heck to I make a new post?? I want to post my car with some questions and I have no clue how to do it, did they take it down? thanks

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by clunkheads View Post
    I love the new car!! random question though, how the heck to I make a new post?? I want to post my car with some questions and I have no clue how to do it, did they take it down? thanks

No luck with starting your own thread? The site can sometimes be a little 'touchy' with new members. On the header screen for this forum section there's a box with "Title/Thread Starter". Just choose one of those options and you will be rolling

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I should have taken photos today but short storytime.

Went to pick up some dinner first time driving the truck since I returned and rebuilt my Weber 32/36 and retired the engine, Everything was smooth take-off idle, etc.... well I got to roll my window down after getting some dinner driverside binds up hard could not get it to go up or down.....

So I start scratching my head thinking nothing of its take-off hear a little rattling hit a roundabout my door goes flying open scared the piss out of me lol, So I get home all while holding my door shut as it was no longer latching I had gotten angry and tried to slam it a few times not smart on my end but hard to drive stick 1 handed with a shift knob that fell off and a door not latching so was having a bad day well pulled my door apart and just the plastic latch tab broke and found hacked up to hell doors. Like I no longer feel bad about wanting to install 6x9's now also new shifter is in the mail felt going old-school so photos soon.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Autocorrect got me on a few things meant to say retimed and retuned, rebuilt.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    And forgot to mention when the latch arm popped off it bound up against the window arm preventing it from going up and down and with the window stuck down it put enough pressure on the latch release assembly to hold the latch in the open position so my door was just a mess.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    While thinking about the doors alternatives for door cards? Currently thinking .063 aluminum panels anodized black or fiberglass panels.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A cautionary tale of using aluminium inner panels. A while ago while I was involved in novice rally a guy in our group made lightweight door cards from alu plate. Yes it did look cool but after a spill on a rally leg, he slid his car sideways into a tree and pinballed off it. The door card popped free of the door and sheared off his elbow. It was nasty. He would've taken a beating regardless but the door card did the majority of the damage to him. Fiberglass would make for a cool looking moulded panel and you could spray it with adhesive and wrap it in felt etc plus add provisions for a valet light and door speakers. Seen some interesting spins on custom door trims using fiberglass but the stuff is kinda heavy. What about MDF and wrapping it or maybe a sheet of ABS plastic? ABS can take a hit, is waterproof and pretty easy to cut, shape and drill. Stuff is pretty light too...

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    A cautionary tale of using aluminium inner panels. A while ago while I was involved in novice rally a guy in our group made lightweight door cards from alu plate. Yes it did look cool but after a spill on a rally leg, he slid his car sideways into a tree and pinballed off it. The door card popped free of the door and sheared off his elbow. It was nasty. He would've taken a beating regardless but the door card did the majority of the damage to him. Fiberglass would make for a cool looking moulded panel and you could spray it with adhesive and wrap it in felt etc plus add provisions for a valet light and door speakers. Seen some interesting spins on custom door trims using fiberglass but the stuff is kinda heavy. What about MDF and wrapping it or maybe a sheet of ABS plastic? ABS can take a hit, is waterproof and pretty easy to cut, shape and drill. Stuff is pretty light too...
    I looked into ABS and it seems the best way to go so far on order

1. 2x Sheet ABS panels
    2. Billet interior grab handles
    3. Billet window cranks
    4. Refreshed oem interior door handles
    5. Cheap bucket seats

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Smile

Small minor update had a spring pop in the seat so my seat has zero support very rough ride. Also this is a run on post figured easier to jam everything into one post.

6e31030e4226f0628f2cada8cbd6e96f.jpg
    07a4070309ffd4c4fd2e29ce8a119738.jpg

I am very aware the truck requires a good cleaning.

Side notes did get a new shift knob 100% better from the previous one.
    d671d4b0b942d16c14a42bff82000744.jpg scored it for $14 good steal I figured.

Also I did get around to testing some wheels I had laying around first tried some 15x10's just for the hell of it and they fit rather well just stick out 5.5"
    ededd9bed7e2611b461441de69145886.jpg
    7c0e3fa0deca791bc0eeffa171d1bc22.jpg

Also borrowed a spare from a 04 silverado 1500 ls 235/75r16 and also fit better then I expected jack is under the control arm so it's compressed but a bump I'm sure it would rub.
    acb7369d75f2d2275b34c0e56be5d0b5.jpg
    235/75r16 vs my 205/75r14
    1584b2583243450de1fa2726c0aef660.jpg

So ended up with some 16x7's came with junk tires from a tacoma got a feeling ill have to do some minor sanding/grinding but $50 for the set figured it was worth the risk. Tires I plan on running 215/65r16 General Grabbers A/T should not knock off the speedometer off by 1-3 mph at most.
    b45487603efa2a11d8e0ab580ee11fab.jpg

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hi Gremlin
    Thanks to these old & rather cool Japanese vehicles we don't have to concern ourselves with making new car & truck payments for 96 months @ $850.00 a month plus insurance

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hi Gremlin
    Thanks to these old & rather cool Japanese vehicles we don't have to concern ourselves with making new car & truck payments for 96 months @ $850.00 a month plus insurance

I'm here on Oahu island windward side ~ Hawaii is like a fancy Alcatraz & my studio apt is a very cozy cell ~ the warden lets us go to the beach too ~ my Dodge is just able to keep pace with most of the stop & go traffic over here on the Rock

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Bucket seats are big improvement over the bench unless you like your passengers to get up close and cozy lol. Those old school 15x10's look legit but too bad they aren't going to cut it. You got ambushed pretty badly with the self opening door. Could've ended far worse...

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Hi Gremlin

I'm here on Oahu island windward side ~ Hawaii is like a fancy Alcatraz & my studio apt is a very cozy cell ~ the warden lets us go to the beach too ~ my Dodge is just able to keep pace with most of the stop & go traffic over here on the Rock
    I do a decent amount dirtroad driving and highway,interstate so far my only complaint is Atlanta,GA rush hour traffic lol no issues keeping pace also heard Hawaii has a decently sized mini truck scene over here in my state you don't see them that often in total my area alone only seen 4 (including me) Ram 50,Mightymax trucks and 1 Plymouth arrow lol most of the time you see ford rangers,s10's and maybe a few old toyotas but that's it.

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Bucket seats are big improvement over the bench unless you like your passengers to get up close and cozy lol. Those old school 15x10's look legit but too bad they aren't going to cut it. You got ambushed pretty badly with the self opening door. Could've ended far worse...
    I could make the 15x10s work but would have to run a small tire and zero power steering would be a huge pain and I agree bucket seats are the way to go hopefully I'm able to snag these local ones I found every vehicle I have owned that had a bench I swapped to buckets. And the door issue is now solved and it was a hairy situation to be honest it did scare me I normally don't wear a seat belt down the dirt roads but after that incident I think I will play it safe and buckle up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast