Array
    Status
    Tustin, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

1984 D-50 front end rebuild

The thunks and the tire wear have finally gotten to me. I need to do the front end on my truck. The problem I am having is compressing the front springs. The manual shows a special tool that appears to no longer be available (mb990792). What are you fine folks using to compress the front springs? I don't see how a regular spring tool will work with the metal shroud around the spring.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Array
    Status
    Gray,Georgia
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I swapped mine out a few months back just used W89311 it's a internal compressor you can get it at Summit for $40? Last time I checked also I highly recommend new shocks if you have not replaced them I have heard cheap ones ride horrible I personally have Bilstien already on mine and feels great.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I don't use a spring compressor. with the front end up on jack stands, I remove the shock, put a jack under the lower control arm, then lift the truck up by the control arm, using the weight of the truck to compress the spring, unbolt the strut rod by removing the lower bump stop and sway bar link, then unbolt the lower ball joint, get it to release from the spindle using a hammer to the side of the spindle where the stud of the ball joint goes through, then slowly lower the control arm until you can take the spring out. Then reverse to reinstall. It would be a good time to also replace the lower control arm bushings with urethane bushings and the strut rod bushings. this way the caliper does not need to be disturbed.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980