Thread: Hello, new to the site and to the Ram/D/Mighty Max world!

Array
    Status
    Jefferson WI
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52

Hello, new to the site and to the Ram/D/Mighty Max world!

I'm new here and as well as to the Ram 50 scene - Last week I bought a rust free 1989 Dodge Ram 50 for $350! It had been sitting out front of this guys house for probably 6 years if I had to guess. We had just gotten done putting a dock out at our lot and while driving past, figured why not stop in and see if this guy would want to sell it. I'll Spare you most of the dull parts.. But it had been sitting in total for over 15 Years, carb was completely locked up and froze. Anyways we got it home and I tore into it, pulled plugs and noticed Cylinder 3 was pretty well and rusted into the block. That ended up proving to be a more serious issue than I had once thought - anyways I spun the engine over by hand for quite some time to get the bottom end lubed and threw some oil in the top end, put the plugs back in and away we went with a block of wood for the choke on the manifold and some starting fluid. It ran, but it was either on two or three cylinders and sounded like dog water. After I looked in the oil fill hole and saw a creamy colored oil mix which was disappointing to say the least.
    To shorten it up I'll explain my findings - Head surface has no cracks, same with the blocks sealing face.. But the block is internally cracked. Opened up the pan and I found almost an inch of sludge and coolant mix. (It was rather gross!) But all is not lost as I'. planning on 4g63T Swapping it! Hopefully getting the engine Tomorrow, and getting some mounting plates done somewhat soon. I'll stop right there for now, and for anyone who made it this far thanks for reading my rambling nonsense! Ra

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. If your truck is running the G63B then the 4G63 swap will be possible without any modifications to the engine mounts or transmission. There is some assing around with cooling system and intake mods as they were configured for FWD, but this swap has been done many times and there is a lot of resource material available on how to do it. The 5 speed will take 500 hp if a reinforced sump plate is installed to improve the transmission case rigidity or it'll distort and blow teeth off the gears eventually. Look for a 6 bolt/Gen1 engine for the swap.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function