Status
    Cleveland, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Question about '87 D50 Automatic

Hello All,

I'm new here and very very new to automobile work beyond general maintenance. I recently acquired a '87 Dodge D50 without an engine, but with a transmission. I am not looking to do anything crazy or exotic or what have you, I literally just want a running truck. I need the most basic swap out possible. The problem I have is everything I seem to find is regarding manuals and 4x4's. I have a rare 2WD automatic and the truck has the stock (I believe) TF904 transmission. To keep costs down, I'd like to use that transmission if at all possible, especially since I will already struggle to put in an engine. What would be the most basic, easiest swap out that will match up with this transmission? I keep seeing galants, eclipses, even Montero's, but everything seems to be related to manuals. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, local yards have plenty of these engines, but beyond the engine, what else would I need to take out of the other vehicle?

Thanks,

Jeramie

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Auto box means you will be looking for a "wide" block, so there are a few options.
    Easiest is putting the same back in (if it's easy to find one)

It's no major to swap transmissions on these trucks for a different stock one

Array
    Status
    Cleveland, OK
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yeah, I'm not stuck on using this transmission. I just need to find out which 4G63's are wide block and which transmissions would work for my truck.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Theres a few different driveshaft yokes (the difference seems to be between auto and manual, but i see some other part numbers listed but havnt seen anyone run into issues with that)

so you want to check the diameter and splines, or take the driveshaft too.

anyways check here for engine wide vs narrow info
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...e+and+markings

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...e+and+markings

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Theres only one trans crossmember and engine mount set up for all engines and trans combos in my parts book (excluding 4wd)

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Using the G63B/4G63 will limit your options. The 4G63's are a narrow block configuration (all of them are sourced from FWD cars) The G63B came in the trucks and early vans of the same model/year builds. You could use a 4G64 from a Gen 2 truck (they are wide block) and neanderthal the engine by using the intake and distributor off a G63B truck engine. Bear in mind you will need to source the flex plate and starter motor for the auto set up + get a carb that has the kick down linkage on it. This isn't going to be 'straight forward' but the only easy option is to simply find an auto configured 2.6 and drop it in...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function