Thread: New member

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Hello all. I recently found a 1986 D50 4x4 that had been sitting in a garage for the past 20 years. 135k miles and no rust. When I was trying to find a fuel tank for it on the internet this forum popped up so I decided to join. I am sure I can find the answers to any questions I have about this truck on this site. Looking forward to participating.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Welcome, baileyb, from a fellow Virginian . This forum is everything you'll need for information regarding your truck. Post up some pictures and keep us informed on your progress.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hello & Welcome baileyb ~ we have the same type truck ~ you can check out my photos & posts ~ assuming there is a fuel issue (?) as your looking for a fuel tank on a truck with no rust or the tank is missing or damaged..?

Changing the fuel filter & assuming your truck starts runs and drives ~ I recommend buying a bottle (about $25.00) of CATACLEAN available at O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores... Follow the CATACLEAN directions exactly for the best results...

If your truck is not starting running or driving nicely then 1st check the basics: compression test, new OEM spec spark plugs, good dist rotor 'n cap, good spark plug wires, good or new OEM spec ign coil, use timing light check for initial & vacuum advance timing on the crank pully (the timing mark is a tiny notch on the first pully lip closest to the timing cover) drain 'n replace the old barn find gas with fresh fuel ~ have O'Reilly's do a FREE load test on the battery & replace that sucker if it fails the load test (it could have a bad cell even if it seems to perform ok)

These trucks are old & my truck had two bad vacuum actuators ~ one on the carburetor & one on the distributor...

Aloha & Keep Warm 'n Safe
    George

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    they do make 15 gallon replacement tanks for the 1st gen trucks - they appear from time to time on eBay. You will need to reuse the fuel sending unit - the gasket for the sender is the same as an 80's Toyota pickup. Welcome to the forum.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I found a tank off of amazon and it went in well. Now the sending unit isn't working well. The old one didn't look the greatest when I took it off to put it in the new tank but it had been working so I reused it. Lesson learned there. I found a few sending units out there that look like they will work. Here are a few pics of the little guy.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I’m not sure of what the resistants should be. I want to say 5 ohms. You can always call commercial speedometer in West Sacramento and ask them. Or you can send the old one to them and have it rebuilt. They might also know of a replacement one. Years ago I got a universal one from them and with a little mods I made it work.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    That's a nice truck.
    I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey baileyb I'm liking your new truck A-LOT the windshield visor looks cool ~ any Amazon details where we can buy a tank too ??

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I tried to load the screenshot from my order but the website doesn't like the link. Just do a search for a "Dorman 576-015" fuel tank. $124.52 It took me awhile to find it because there were no tanks listed for a 1986 Dodge Ram 50, but when I entered in the same year "mighty max" this tank came up. I was surprised when all of the connectors lined up(for the most part) and the mounting holes were in the right place. So far so good. Now I just have to find me a new sending unit. I appreciate the compliment on the truck. I would have never thought getting that little truck would have brought back so many good memories. That visor, sunroof and the three inch body-lift wouldn't have been my first choice of additions if I had anything to say about what previous owners did to it but I do have to say they are both good "period" mods for the day as well as the white wagon wheels. I would love to find a correct fitting roll bar and put up a few "KC" lights like I used to run on my old broncos in the 80's and 90's to complete the look. I guess I am finding out how addictive these little trucks are and how I have probably just added another hole in my driveway that I dump money in like my boat....

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyb View Post
    I tried to load the screenshot from my order but the website doesn't like the link. Just do a search for a "Dorman 576-015" fuel tank. $124.52 It took me awhile to find it because there were no tanks listed for a 1986 Dodge Ram 50, but when I entered in the same year "mighty max" this tank came up. I was surprised when all of the connectors lined up(for the most part) and the mounting holes were in the right place. So far so good. Now I just have to find me a new sending unit. I appreciate the compliment on the truck. I would have never thought getting that little truck would have brought back so many good memories. That visor, sunroof and the three inch body-lift wouldn't have been my first choice of additions if I had anything to say about what previous owners did to it but I do have to say they are both good "period" mods for the day as well as the white wagon wheels. I would love to find a correct fitting roll bar and put up a few "KC" lights like I used to run on my old broncos in the 80's and 90's to complete the look. I guess I am finding out how addictive these little trucks are and how I have probably just added another hole in my driveway that I dump money in like my boat....
    Thank you A-LOT for the tank information ~ I've heard it been said that there are only two days a fellah is happy with his boat [the day he buys it & the day he sells it] that may be true for some boat owners but I never heard that being said for these trucks or any desired vehicle ~ the money pit is right on correct tho ~ have fun dressing up the little monster..!

Array
    Status
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I am looking to get to the broken parking brake cable now. Everything connected looks as though it should be replaced too. Has anyone ever found a complete parking brake cable repair kit which includes everything? After searching I have found the individual cables but not the rest of the hardware. I greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Can you send photos of what you need? I probably have what you need if not new than used. Need a photo of your rear brake setup to determine if you have 9 1/2 or 10" drum brakes.

Mike