Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B

Mitsubishi L200 1994 2WD Brake Upgrade

Hi everyone.

Dan here from all the way in New Zealand
    I found this website when researching coilovers for my build and I'm glad to say I found what I was looking for, QS1 coilovers with no welding to fit!! Woooo!!

Now I know this has been posted a bit around the page but I am really in need of some clear advise on what upgrades you can do to the tiny brakes on the L200 Sport 2.6 Petrol 1994 Double Cab.

In New Zealand we have very strict certification process called Low Volume Vehicle Certification.
    Basically any mod that's not factory needs to be checked by a qualified certifier and signed off before it can go on the road.

My project is fitting a Toyota 3SGTE race engine into the old girl and doing a "Cyberpunk" themed cosmetic style
    I have tried to upload some photos but it doesn't seem to want to let me.

But I digress; could someone point me in the direction of semi bolt-in brake caliper and rotor upgrades that I could do.
    I read something about the 315mm rotors from the Mitsubishi Challenger may fit, but there was nowhere in the thread about it being specific fitment for the 2WD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    If I recall correctly, the Challenger is the same as the Montero Sport we got here in the States. If it is, then yes, those brakes do fit on without a whole lot of work. You need to get the rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, dust shield, and I think I also used the little hard brake line that threads directly into the caliper. You will either need to use 16" wheels, or at the very least 15" with very high offset to clear them, but I think it is worth it. I put them on mine a few summers ago and it has been a big improvement for not a lot of work. I snagged all of my parts off of an 03 model in a junkyard, so ones made around then should be the one you want. There are a couple of threads on here taking a little bit more about the swap, if I can find them again I'll link them here.

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Awesome thanks
    Are we talking the 2.5L diesel Challenger or is there a Petrol one I need to look out for?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    I did the big brake upgrade on my 89 Montero and can no longer run 15" wheels. I run 18's now. As long as you are ok with running a taller wheel then you will be ok.

I also grabbed longer Stainless Steel lines from these guys to accommodate the added length.

https://blineperformance.com/

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Nice ��
    Do you have a link to the exact line you purchased?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    You will likely want to go this route with your 2wd truck:

https://blineperformance.com/product...ainless-lines/

You might want to double check your setup, but its likely identical to our trucks here in the states. In the delivery notes at checkout I just let them know what I was going to install 315mm rotors and they extended my lines to make them fit. You can email them too on their main page beforehand.

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm going to lodge some inquiries with local junk yards and consult some of my genuine parts sources to see what's available in NZ.
    Thanks again, I'll find a way to upload photos and start a build thread for my project

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    No problem.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Thanks for recommendations guys. We're here when you're ready.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO_Man_Dan View Post
    Awesome thanks
    Are we talking the 2.5L diesel Challenger or is there a Petrol one I need to look out for?
    I think the one I scavenged parts off of was a V6 truck. The ones that should have the brake parts you want will have a 16 inch wheel instead of the standard 15.

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Hey mate thanks for that info. Looks like these trucks are harder to come by in NZ but I do have access to a genuine parts database. I'll look up the V6 montero and see if I can just buy the parts. Even if I can get quality aftermarket I'll be happy.
    Unless anyone on here has calipers and dust shields they are willing to part with. I can get new disks easily enough.
    Or even better, does anyone have access to a VIN or Chassis number for the V6 montero sport that's fitted with the brakes I'm after?

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Hey.
    I'll need to see what the legality is around braided brake lines in NZ, do you lines come with any documentation?

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Pm sent.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO_Man_Dan View Post
    Hey.
    I'll need to see what the legality is around braided brake lines in NZ, do you lines come with any documentation?

Not needed anymore, as long as its swaged and not screw together
    https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...rake_Hoses.pdf

(although you will need cert for all the otherstuff, braided lines are not a cert item as long as they are"direct replacement" and use factory mounts)

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I got my calipers off rockauto and just took the hit on not having a set to send back to them

make sure you get the 2 piston version and not the 1 piston version

They bolt right up to the 2nd gen l200 spindle/knuckle and are of the correct offset for the existing disc. But they are made for a disc slightly larger diameter than the L200's so you get some over hang of the brake pad material. I have questioned a cert guy about this and he said its pretty common and not really an issue and it would likely pass.

The disc that came up when i was searching was a rodeo one (also the same as great wall) it has the correct diameter and offset to work with the L200 Hub and Pajero 2 piston caliper. But it has the wrong mounting holes, Again Cert guy said it would be ok to redrill them (ask your cert guy about it tho, as i have a feeling the one i was talking to was thinking it was a disc that sandwiches between the wheel and hub rather than bolts on the back of it)
    But that set up all fits under a 15" wheel (i have those chrome ones you see on old Surf's)
    but that was just me being kinda pedantic about the brake pad overhang

Anyways
    Because you are getting a cert anyway. You can have whatever caliper bracket you want, so you can fit any caliper you want, so go through a brake disc catalog and get the biggest rotors that will bolt on, theres about 5 i came across with the correct centre hole and mounting bolt pattern (mitsubishi i think) but they had the wrong diameter or offset.
    So just go to your local wreckers and get some nice big calipers off whatever because for the sake of having a billet bracket made up you can fit literally what ever you want

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I used the calipers off a Challenger - same issue. There's some pad overhang, but it's a nut and bolt swap for Gen 2 trucks (built from 86 up) hub and spindle assemblies. You will need to cut a small notch out of the stock backing plate as it fouls the twin piston caliper. 5 minute job with an angle grinder. I opted for braided teflon sleeved lines as well.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    Here's what I have found for calipers:
    https://shop.febest.eu/front-right-b...7-k96wfrh.html

This is from the OE caliper part number in the database.
    But I'm having trouble confirming that they fit the 314mm rotors, can anyone confirm?

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    In the parts database there is a 276mm and 314mm disk listed.
    But there is no distinct difference in Caliper part numbers to determine what the difference is. I'll list the OEM caliper options for LH & RH below:

LH: MB858404 & MB858406
    RH: MB858405 & MB858407

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    When you search those numbers, a few places say the 276mm but no info on the 314mm.
    But they seem to have the same mounting bolt for the bracket so I'm assuming they work for both the 276 & 314mm?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    1997 MITSUBISHI MONTERO SPORT 2.4L L4
    CENTRIC14146058 (141.46058
    CENTRIC14146057 (141.46057)

i ordered these, They fit as described above

Array
    Status
    Christchurch New Zealand
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G54B
    I'm just trying to get all info:
    So you are running the standard brake size?
    I'm trying to get away with not having to custom fab any brackets if I can help it. Fitting the 314mm disks from the 3.5L V6 Challenger/Montero would be ideal, it's just the calipers not having a lot of info on what disk they fit lol.

I'll look into your calipers too ��

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    i have standard 2nd gen l200 everything except for the above calipers and wheels
    theres some brake upgrade posts on here where i put some photos of them up (not on the truck) to show clearances.

I didnt look much into the challenger rotors at the time but i might relook, i feel there was a difference in the centre hole size so you would need the challenger hubs as well and i didnt have any getting parted out near me

anyways my ute isnt certed for brakes and i didnt want to draw attention to it by putting parts on made after its cert date lol

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Get the calipers and caliper brackets off of the challenger too. The whole setup is what I am running, and what it sounds like you will want

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    NZ sounds like a mess of a country to make modifications to your vehicle.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    There's some blanket laws that suck for people who weren't abusing them, but it's pretty good in terms of global car modification law. Europe would suck, and most of Australia is worse.
    It means I gave up on importing USA cars with any mods because they usually take tens of thousands to get up to standards. Some suspension components aren't worth the testing required to use (I have seen companies complaining that they won't export here because the tests are more than the aerospace industry lol)

Tldr it's not a perfect system but it does allow you to do more or less what ever you want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast