Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy unequal length header build for '88 Ram50 !!!

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Crazy unequal length header build for '88 Ram50 !!!

IMG_20210227_215448_096.jpgIMG_20210227_215448_091.jpgIMG_20210227_215448_094.jpg

Got my 1 ½" header laid out and tacked together. I wanted to try and make an unequal length header, to try and give the exhaust a "Subaru" rumble. The night before starting, I stumbled upon the fact that a few companies are making UEL headers for Hondas and Miatas! So, hopefully this will sound cool!

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    The usual way to do this is to make a 4-2-1 but match the wrong cylinders up if you just want the sound.
    The UEL are supposed to be for turbos so the shorter length ones get it to spool up faster and then the long ones take over

I see theres a bunch of camshafts on the market now called rumble cams. THey give that big cam idle but actually decrease performance everywhere over stock lol

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    u must be bored
    why on earth would anything want to sound like a subaru ?
    Subarus probably don't even want that shitty sound..... but realized they're stuck with it from birth
    Always sound like they're broken, and not firing on all cylinders. Are you ? Nah, jus kiddin

interesting stuff seem to be going on underhood

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've never heard of 'rumble' cams but there are some pretty weird auto trends out there (look no further than Japans' car culture You would only need to shorten one runner to get the effect but it will screw with your tune badly especially in one or 2 specific rpm ranges. It'll be an interesting experiment but I think you'll get annoyed with it, sort of like having a straight through or rally spec exhaust. It's novel for the first week until the neighbours come after your ass and the cops keep doing laps of your car.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    No, not bored, just wanted to do something different. It's not like these things sound great, anyway. Plus, I just wanted to build a swoopy header.

Besides, I see a bunch of people bemoan the fact that they can't buy a header and act like they're going to do something about it, so I will.

I don't see many other people making it happen.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    you mean you are going to go into production?

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Not doing production off this header. This is for a bodydropped truck with a Z'd frame.

I can build a header for anything, if it's brought to me, though.

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Which are the "wrong" cylinders? Which are the "right" cylinders?

I was going to make 1 and 3 the long runners like a Subaru but Subaru firing order (1-3-2-4) is different than inline four cylinders. I matched the design of the Honda and Miata headers because the firing order is the same, 1-3-4-2.

As far as the spinning the turbo theory, Subaru turbo exhausts were designed that way because turbos don't care. Subaru only went to equal length manifolds because they wanted to run twin-scroll turbos on the newer WRXs. Twin-scroll turbos need equal length runners.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Besides, I see a bunch of people bemoan the fact that they can't buy a header and act like they're going to do something about it, so I will.... I don't see many other people making it happen.
    I can build a header for anything, if it's brought to me, though
    prolly still decent demand around here. Might be enough to keep you busy..... if worth your while
    U got the skilz. Truck is your 'jig'
    This is for a bodydropped truck with a Z'd frame
    sounds like a cool build. Did u post it up anywhere ?

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    on a 1432 firing engine you would typically have 1-4 and 2-3 paired. you get a different sound (among other things) by paring them differently, there was an old site that had a good example of this that i will link to if i can remember it.

https://www.maperformance.com/pages/...aru%20Headers.

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    If someone wants a header for a stock truck, they can bring it to me.

This is where all the people with big header dreams seem to go quiet. Two headers isn't enough to get the price below $500 a piece.

The build is on Instagram @boogiechassis and Facebook at Boogie Chassis and Fabrication. 20210202_135138.jpg20210202_151547.jpg

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    on a 1432 firing engine you would typically have 1-4 and 2-3 paired. you get a different sound (among other things) by paring them differently, there was an old site that had a good example of this that i will link to if i can remember it.

https://www.maperformance.com/pages/...aru%20Headers.
    False. The link you quote shows an EL and an UEL that are 4-1. There ARE 4-2-1 headers but it doesn't create the sound.

Here are links to the Miata header I'm referring to.

I may be wrong but I doubt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5PDL2NVYTM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f32ZwCUzY88&t=338s

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    The link is one I found about ulh and mentions what it does to turbos.

Cylinder matching headers is pretty well known header stuff, and misatching them gives you a "WRX" (farty be beetle sound" and poorer performance due to how the exhaust pulses match up

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Watched the video. It's got the 'brap' of a flat four but I'd like to have seen a dyno chart on what it was doing after the install. I think putting something like this on an engine that doesn't have great efficiency from the start is going to knee cap it. This is the kind of header you'd install for a custom show or a meet'n'greet for enthusiasts. It would definitely get attention.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    UEL Headers make power on BRZs/86s.

Not to forget, this is a 90hp truck motor designed in the 70s. Don't try and get all sciencey about it.

I can't stand it when people want to get dicky and act like this is F1, asking about scavenging, pulse timing, and EGTs, as if they can do anything with that knowledge.

Like I said, I wanted to build a header, I decided to do something cool. This is what builders do.

What have you done?

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    u posted an unusual topic.... folks debate. U never been on a forum? Its what people do
    No need to get all up in ya feelings, guy

So what if it's a 90hp 70s 4cyl. Non u.s. 2.0/2.4 sohc starions gone past 400hp. How? By "gettin all sciencey"

One poster in the thread owns a 3800 V6 powered mitsu pickup
    I, myself am long time mitsu SOHC turbo guy
    Guy X, and so on..... etc. You are not the only one doing stuff. Stop trippin

Your project IS hella cool(to me at least)...... We gearheads like that sorta stuff
    Keep us updated..... and relax - lol

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    just do this if you want loud. But put it in the bed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ai6Xo0...ature=youtu.be
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    From this thread I've found out about 2 things I didn't even know existed - rumble cams and UEL's. You're right, these aren't hi-po exotic engines and I had to go check this stuff out online to get informed. And as I said, this will get attention so nobody is actually canning you for jumping first. We have a handful of guys who have skills above those of normal mortals that have made some pretty amazing and unique mods. Making headers is no mean feat and we're all interested or we wouldn't be following this thread and commenting. How far in are you on making a prototype?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    we're good
    Last edited by geezer101; 03-06-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: windows catastropkically crashed on me this morning during my session and I was sent back to this page to fix it...

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah, we good, just venting.

I'm not building any prototypes. Like I said, this is pretty a specific fit.

In order for any headers to be built, someone will have to bring a stock truck to me.

I really don't see this being loud, either. I'm running a cat and haven't decided on a muffler, yet. The only G63b I've heard was from a YT video and it had an unnamed Magnaflow muffler. I'm planning to pick a middle of the road muffler noise-wise and adding a resonator, if I have to. Exhaust is 2 ½", exiting out through the roll pan.

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Not to mention, this could all backfire and sound horrible.

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Video's up at boogchassis on Instagram and Boogie Chassis and Fabrication on Facebook. It works a treat, just like I said.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    2.5" is pretty ideal size for NA, not much gains going bigger (and the usual space issues that come with it)
    How much exhaust is there in the video? headers and cat then open?

what was the problem getting it to run/idle?.
    i dont think you are the original 02 sensor feedback carb?, but when you have an exhaust setup with a bunch of solid reversion waves going back and forth it messes with the sensor, expecially when its a short exhaust because it sucks fresh air quite a way back up inside. can be a problem when tuning big single motorcycles.
    Though a shorter free'er exhaust usually alters the afr anyways. or at least thats what they say on COD

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    The running and idling problem was just setting idle and timing. It happily starts and runs now. The exhaust is done now, too.

I am having trouble finding tuning information. It seems to run rich and is smoking. I have a Redline Weber 32/36 and didn’t get installation instructions, natch. I think I was supposed to tap and plug the coolant port under the carb but I’m having trouble verifying that.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You 'can' tap and plug it but it's more of a safeguard to prevent coolant from backlogging under the carb base. The vast majority of the time nobody seals the coolant port up. Try adjusting the mixture screw first, then adjusting the idle speed screw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast