Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy unequal length header build for '88 Ram50 !!!

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    You 'can' tap and plug it but it's more of a safeguard to prevent coolant from backlogging under the carb base. The vast majority of the time nobody seals the coolant port up. Try adjusting the mixture screw first, then adjusting the idle speed screw.
    Thanks, Geezer.

I got a 701-DGV4 jet kit from Carbs Unlimited and have been working through it. I blocked off the PCV and I think that's causing me Lean Best Idle tuning issues.

It was running great at 4-4.5 turns OUT from seated on the mixture screw. If I understand the LBI tuning directions, that would have me put larger jets in. When I was working on the jetting, I plugged the PCV, I think I messed myself up.

1. Am I understanding the LBI tuning right, where too many turns out means my idle jets are to small?

2. The carb came with 55 primary/50 secondary. Do I need to up both idle jet sizes?

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    You 'can' tap and plug it but it's more of a safeguard to prevent coolant from backlogging under the carb base. The vast majority of the time nobody seals the coolant port up. Try adjusting the mixture screw first, then adjusting the idle speed screw.
    Thanks, Geezer.

I have it running well at 1 ½ turns out from seated on the mixture screw. Timing is 8 degrees, set with the advance disconnected from the distributor and plugged.

It's blowing smoke from the exhaust and the plugs are caked and sooty.

Should I look at jets or maybe float level? I haven't driven it yet.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I initially went with the jetting recommended here on my '87 2.6L:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ber-32-36-DFEV

That said, it flunked emissions with high HC and CO indicating a rich condition, so over a few more rounds of that I would up bumping the primary air corrector up to a 195, which passed handily but with numbers suggesting I could prolly go a wee bit leaner yet, either with an even-larger air jet or a smaller main jet (w/ smaller air to match), so will try that out with next year's smog test. I also moved the 165 air to the secondary, figuring that richer mixture would go well with the larger secondary barrel.

Also note this is at 2400' elevation, so lower elevations would prolly need to jet richer than I did, thanks to higher oxygen content in the ambient air.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks, Geezer.

I have it running pretty well at 1 1/2 turns out on the mixture screw and about 1 1/2 turns in on the idle speed screw.

The carb came with 55 primary/ 50 secondary idle jets. Timing is at 8 degrees.

I'm getting smoking from the exhaust and sooty black plugs from stationary idling and revving.

1. Should I be looking at idle jets? I have a Redline jet kit with 55s, 60s and 65s.

2. Should I be looking at float height?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    With the idle speed screw 1-1/2 turns in or less, a mixture screw anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out indicates your idle jets are correct. If it runs better with the mixture any less than 1-1/2 turns out, the primary idle jet is too rich, or more than 2-1/2 turns out, it's too lean.

That said, sooty plugs suggests a rich condition, so you'll prolly need to tune your primary main and/or air jets. Main jets are big steps in tuning the mixture, and air jets are for fine tuning within those big steps; larger mains are richer, while larger airs are leaner -- i.e., when swapping to a smaller (leaner) main jet, also swap to the smallest (richest) air jet you've got and increment up from there to fine-tune it leaner, or going to a larger (richer) main jet should also start with the largest (leanest) air jet you've got and increment down to fine-tune it richer. From the sound of things, you might just try swapping your primary and secondary main jets, and put your smallest air on the primary and largest air on the secondary.

BTW, did you plug the PCV barb(s) on the valve cover? Or the EGR on the intake manifold? If it's the PCV, you should at least have the PCV valve at the front of the cover connected to the hose barb in the manifold right at the carb mounting flange. The rear barb on the valve cover can be plugged or capped with a breather filter; I like the Spectre 3995 for its durable low-maintenance stainless-mesh filter media, which is fine for this vent that really only ever purges vapor from the crankcase and doesn't intake anything.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by SubGothius View Post
    With the idle speed screw 1-1/2 turns in or less, a mixture screw anywhere from 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 turns out indicates your idle jets are correct. If it runs better with the mixture any less than 1-1/2 turns out, the primary idle jet is too rich, or more than 2-1/2 turns out, it's too lean.

That said, sooty plugs suggests a rich condition, so you'll prolly need to tune your primary main and/or air jets. Main jets are big steps in tuning the mixture, and air jets are for fine tuning within those big steps; larger mains are richer, while larger airs are leaner -- i.e., when swapping to a smaller (leaner) main jet, also swap to the smallest (richest) air jet you've got and increment up from there to fine-tune it leaner, or going to a larger (richer) main jet should also start with the largest (leanest) air jet you've got and increment down to fine-tune it richer. From the sound of things, you might just try swapping your primary and secondary main jets, and put your smallest air on the primary and largest air on the secondary.

BTW, did you plug the PCV barb(s) on the valve cover? Or the EGR on the intake manifold? If it's the PCV, you should at least have the PCV valve at the front of the cover connected to the hose barb in the manifold right at the carb mounting flange. The rear barb on the valve cover can be plugged or capped with a breather filter; I like the Spectre 3995 for its durable low-maintenance stainless-mesh filter media, which is fine for this vent that really only ever purges vapor from the crankcase and doesn't intake anything.
    I do have the pcv hooked up now, I had it plugged earlier.

I appreciate the in depth explanation.

For reference, I'm in Pennsylvania, at an altitude of about 400'.

I'm only starting on lean best idle tuning and haven't driven the truck yet. Do the main and air jets matter this early in tuning the carb? Basically, should I wait until the truck is driving to get into the main and air jets?

Array
    Status
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Link to the (mostly) finished truck

https://youtu.be/FQrYYG2XxNY

Array
    Status
    miami, fl