Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52

Pacesetter header install w/ O2 sensor

Hey all,

Thought I might bounce this off the forum guys and maybe get some feedback.

First off I ordered a Pacesetter header for the Ram 50, the quality was surprisingly very good. Flanges are extremely thick, all American made $180.00 to my door. Purchased because my OEM collector is warped and will not seal.

I’m planning to install an O2 sensor in the collector to keep the sensor connected as my truck is stock and I do not want any CEL.

Fixin’ to have my boy tig that bung right on the collector.

Any thoughts on whether or not this will be too far downstream ?

Thanks in advance for tips/advice.

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Is it a 4 into 1 header or a 4-2-1? If it's a 4-2-1, the set that I have the manufacturer welded the bung into the collector joining 1 and 3 from the underside so the sensor is facing downwards. I think it would be more accurate if it could read all exiting gases. Where is the factory sensor located?
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    If it's a 4 into 1 that puts the sensor far from the engine (closer is better) which could cause an inconsistent signal to the ECU. To ensure the sensor stays at operating temperature, try installing a sensor that has an internal heater.

If you stay with a one-wire sensor and it doesn't get hot enough, it won't trigger a CEL. The odometer triggers the "Maint Required" dash light, not the ECU. But an insufficiently heated sensor will cause the carb to run rich; so emissions will soar while mpg will plummet.
    Last edited by FMS88; 02-27-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I did a bit of searching this morning on where to locate an O2 sensor on classic/older vehicles and the thread indicated 6 to 8" down stream from the collector. I thought it might have been too cold that far down stream, but the reasoning was to monitor unburned O2 before it could creep back into the exhaust and throw off readings
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    Thanks so much for the response.

The little research I have done indicates that the collector on the exhaust side would be ideal.

It’s also an easy and reasonable location to insert the bung, plenty of room.

Header is 4 into , very long tubes and I’m diggin’ it. Although I don’t think it will help performance wise as I am not changing the exhaust system, carburetor or camshaft.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    It is a 4 into 1, the collector just seems To be a convenient location. I will get into the manuals today and see what the expected impediance would be.

Quote Originally Posted by FMS88 View Post
    If it's a 4 into 1 that puts the sensor far from the engine (closer is better) which could cause an inconsistent signal to the ECU. To ensure the sensor stays at operating temperature, try installing a sensor that has an internal heater.

If you stay with a one-wire sensor and it doesn't get hot enough, it won't trigger a CEL. The odometer triggers the "Maint Required" dash light, not the ECU. But an insufficiently heated sensor will cause the carb to run rich; so emissions will soar while mpg will plummet.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    Factory sensor is located right at the double collector, a big open space in the cast manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Is it a 4 into 1 header or a 4-2-1? If it's a 4-2-1, the set that I have the manufacturer welded the bung into the collector joining 1 and 3 from the underside so the sensor is facing downwards. I think it would be more accurate if it could read all exiting gases. Where is the factory sensor located?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Well, question answered Long runner headers = TORQUE. Nice

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52
    Totaly !

Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Well, question answered Long runner headers = TORQUE. Nice

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G52

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by GodRamIt View Post
    Hm, not listed there; you may have bought their last one in stock.

No matter, found plenty others stock it; just Google pacesetter 70-1020 or pacesetter 72C1020 -- the 70-1020 is painted, 72C1020 is ceramic-coated. Note the paint is NOT hi-temp and only there to prevent rust in the warehouse, so it will burn off in use, exposing the bare metal. You can strip it and apply hi-temp paint yourself, or just get the ceramic-coated version in the first place.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    pacesetter are HP headers, not torque headers. They don't help the truck in the range we usually run at. Better than a cracked or warped cast manifold, but there are not many other choices out there any more. One day I will post the 3 types of headers I have for the 2.6 - the pacesetter, the Doug Thorley Tri Y header, and a uber-rare Cyclone anti-reversionary header.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Anyone tried or have an opinion of this header from APS, a manufacturer in OZ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headers-Ext...0AAOSwvoxb6f-q

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I haven't heard of them. The market support for older vehicles is falling out so it looks like they're filling the void. They're pretty cheap though - hope the price isn't reflecting on the end product...