Thread: Steering stops ~ how why when what are these things..?

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Steering stops ~ how why when what are these things..?

While under my truck I noticed some plastic looking things on the steering knuckles and assume they are steering stops..? The passenger side piece looks broken off some & might account for why the passenger tire rubs the idler arm when turning full left... Anyone have experience getting new parts or what exactly are these parts function..? They have the look of old teflon tube only rigid as a piece of metal... Thanks for any info & ways to replace them or what they really do...

Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Yea, just steering stops. Mine touch the metal.

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The yellow plastic sleeves look like what's left of the covers designed to retain lubricant for the stops. Mine disappeared long ago so my stops are exposed, rounded head bolts that screw into the knuckle and kept in position by lock nuts. Remove what's left of the covers and inspect the stop bolts. At almost full left-turn and engine off, here's my right side stop (the gap is about 1/16"):

When in the position pictured, the tire is about 1.5" from the upper, widest part of the idler arm:

If the tire is rubbing the idler arm, the stop needs adjustment or replacement if it's damaged. If it's due for an alignment, have the shop check and adjust the steering angle.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    FMS88 ~ WOW ~ YOU HAVE RESCUED ME A BUNCH OF TIMES ~ a thank you is not enuff ~ will try upload Hawaii Sunset photo for you with my phone ??? A big "IF I CAN"
    Sunset Hawaii March 2.jpg

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    FMS88 ~ WOW ~ YOU HAVE RESCUED ME A BUNCH OF TIMES ~ a thank you is not enuff ~ will try upload Hawaii Sunset photo for you with my phone ??? A big "IF I CAN"
    Sunset Hawaii March 2.jpg

WOW I used my Android cell phone camera to take resize & upload this Sunset photo all the while logged in here at MR50 & it uploaded using the forum tools ~ YAY

While logged in the image opens with my Android phone when I click on the text ~ FYI I used Pocket Paint to resize the image for MR5O ~ hope it opens for you & all ~ I lived in the great NW for 25 years & I know the weather you have in winter ~ at least one of us escaped it

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post

You're welcome. I'd reply with a photo, but our sunsets of late have been as colorful as concrete. The skies are always gray in Seattle.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    to prevent noise, apply grease to the stop to prevent the grinding noise at lock when the stops are adjusted correctly
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980