Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: axles

  1. #1

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Posts
    490
    Location

    Cant Say
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    Dodge V6

    axles

    hey yall! so i got the 3.8 up on a dyno. 9.6:1, cam, long tubes 2" dual exhaust and cherry bomb vortex mufflers. it made a whopping 265 hp and 337 torque on our best tune, 50 hp above stock!

    my question is, how much power can you cram into a stock axle? it is a 4x4 of course, i dont know the limits of the axle. ive heard of conquests taking 700 on stock axles but there is a difference between what it can take between 1/4 runs and what it can take as a daily driver.

    i will get pics soon my camera on my phone shattered. in the mean time here is the dyno results:



    oh, stock 3.91 gears and 33 inch tires if that helps any. thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Posts
    490
    Location

    Cant Say
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    Dodge V6
    Attached Images

  3. #3

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    01-24-2017
    Posts
    1,025
    Location

    New Zealand
    Vehicle

    1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

    Other
    can blow a rear diff with about 170hp+ doing launches and burnouts. The open diff handles it better than the lsd (theres a pin that shears out rather than the axle breaking). I know a couple trucks here putting 220ish though the stock diff and seems ok.

    mine has been ok but i drive pretty casually. I sold an open diff to a guy with the same engine swap because he had blown multiple LSD rear ends driving like a hoon. The guy i got my lsd diff off had the same engine swap, but twin turbo and had gone through lots of diffs


    Of course if you have a 4wd that means theres less than the total going to the rear end, Id imagine you are ok with those numbers

  4. #4

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-22-2015
    Posts
    395
    Location

    Nevada
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    Other
    Is yours a 4cyl 4x4 rear or v6? One is 8" and the other is 9". The 9" mimics the Fords 9" which is indestructible. The 8" is strong too. 3000GT VR4's are 8" independent rears and I've never seen one explode. Some examples putting out over 1200 AWD Hp.

    You should be fine.

  5. #5

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Posts
    490
    Location

    Cant Say
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    can blow a rear diff with about 170hp+ doing launches and burnouts. The open diff handles it better than the lsd (theres a pin that shears out rather than the axle breaking). I know a couple trucks here putting 220ish though the stock diff and seems ok.

    mine has been ok but i drive pretty casually. I sold an open diff to a guy with the same engine swap because he had blown multiple LSD rear ends driving like a hoon. The guy i got my lsd diff off had the same engine swap, but twin turbo and had gone through lots of diffs


    Of course if you have a 4wd that means theres less than the total going to the rear end, Id imagine you are ok with those numbers
    yes i have a open diff i think, 3.91 axle (3.909 on the tag) mine will see some mud but nothing extreme. maybe a trail or two. bipolar driving we will say, so it depends on what day it is pretty much.

    you say you know a guy with a twin turbo 3.8 minivan motor swap? ive only ever seen one other i barely remember the truck now so if theres another 3.8 swap lingering around thats sick!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Is yours a 4cyl 4x4 rear or v6? One is 8" and the other is 9". The 9" mimics the Fords 9" which is indestructible. The 8" is strong too. 3000GT VR4's are 8" independent rears and I've never seen one explode. Some examples putting out over 1200 AWD Hp.

    You should be fine.
    4 cly rear, truck had the G54B.

    and yes while a 3000 gt rear may handle 1200 hp, you dont see those 1200 hp cars making 200,000 miles on the same suspension, its normally rebuilt every season sometimes less. unless this is somehow a 1200 hp track car.



    i guess ill put it together and see how it goes. if it blows ill pull the suspension from a 3.0 truck and swap it under. i know where a couple are at now just long drives to get them (which i never mind drives)

  6. #6

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    10-22-2015
    Posts
    395
    Location

    Nevada
    Vehicle

    1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    Other
    Incorrect. Most run the factory suspension minus stiffer springs and never touch the 3rd member. Plenty of high hp 3s’s with 200k plus miles.

    doubt you’ll ever see an issue unless you severely neglect it.

  7. #7

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    01-09-2020
    Posts
    490
    Location

    Cant Say
    Vehicle

    1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

    Dodge V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    Incorrect. Most run the factory suspension minus stiffer springs and never touch the 3rd member. Plenty of high hp 3s’s with 200k plus miles.

    doubt you’ll ever see an issue unless you severely neglect it.
    ah i see, got that japanese overengineering. guess im good on axles then, thanks!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •